Offline Order Numbers skipping numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offline Order Numbers skipping numbers

Right, firstly, I can kinda see HOW it's doing it but I'm not happy with the WHY!
    I've searched the forums (jont ) and haven't found any mention of it.

Offline orders in 9.0.5

I've never been 100% happy with the 'New Order' tab since it didn't used to work properly with products with components (although I know it's supposed to be fixed now) and I often get script errors when I try to use it so, unless I'm putting through an offline order for a single, main product, I still use Operations > New Orders

This means I use a mixture of both methods to input new orders.

I've noticed this is doing strange things with my order numbers, however.

See attached, you can see (by order dates) that the numbers aren't being allocated numerically

I've worked out why this is!
    Our last offline order number is 649

If I go to Operations > New Order
    It gives my next order number as being 650

If I go to the New Order tab
    It gives my next order number as being 651

It's obviously allocating a 'next order number' to each method, rather than the same to both and then incrementing.

Fortunately, this isn't duplicating numbers but it does mean we have gaps in the numbers at times
    eg. until I'd processed yesterdays offline order (647 on 24th) I had the last 2 numbers as 646 and 648

This isn't good for the audit trail!

Anyone able to confirm this is what's happening? (easy to see by looking in Operations > New Order and comparing its 'next order number' with the New Order tab)

It doesn't seem quite right to me
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TraceyHand; 25-Nov-2009, 09:34 AM. Reason: added forgotten attachment *mumbles*
    Tracey

Anyone able to confirm this is what's happening? (easy to see by looking in Operations > New Order and comparing its 'next order number' with the New Order tab)
    This is what I get (V9.0.5 also):

My last offline order ends 176
    Click New Order Tab gives 177
    Click Ops > New Order gives 178
    Click New Order Tab again now gives 179
    Click Ops > New Order again gives 180
    Click Ops > New Order again gives 181

compact DB and re-open

Click Ops > New Order gives 177
    Click New Order Tab gives 178

compact DB again to re-set numbers back to 177 onwards

not sure what that proves or even if it helps, but it does seem a bit odd.
    (I just wish that order numbers ran consecutively regardless of being online or offline.)
    flyingbooks secondhand, rare and collectable aviation books and publications

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got

Comment

Originally posted by cobbler View Post

not sure what that proves or even if it helps, but it does seem a bit odd.
      well, if nothing else, it proves that the offline ordering can result in gaps in your order numbers which, IMO, is a big no-no

Thanks for confirming.
      Tracey

Comment

Working...
      X