Extended Info Pages - Page Title & Meta Tags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extended Info Pages - Page Title & Meta Tags

I've got extended info pages on my site running within the main site template, so it creates a single page for each product with info and a larger image.

However, from an SEO point of view I don't seem to be able to find a way to create unique Page Titles and Meta tags for these pages, it just replicates the same ones from the parent product page.

Anyone know how to edit these so each extended info page has it's own page title and meta tags? Otherwise I risk being penalised for duplicate content by the search engines.

Using Ext. Info pages is a fairly dated way of producing Single Product Pages, so you may want to look into having a separate Section Page for each product instead.

Having said that, your Ext. Info pages don't give your customers any more information anyway, so IMO they're redundant and I wouldn't bother using them.

Army Gore-tex
    Winter Climbing Mitts
    webD's Blog: Website design, SEO and other ramblings…
    Twitter LinkedIN

If you think a post is good, rate it!

Find the answers in the Knowledge Base | Have you read the User Guides

Comment

When you say fairly dated way of producing Single Product Pages, are there other disadvantages other than not being able to produce bespoke Meta tags? They've worked well for me so far, albeit this is my first use of actinic.

Quite a few of them do offer additional information with diagrams and dimensions, although as you say some don't and I will look at removing those.

I've sorted a way to do the page titles, just the meta tags I can't figure out.

Comment

Assuming you want to continue to use Ext Info pages, then you need to create a variable for each of the meta tags you want to add

then add then into the layout of the ext info page to replace the meta tags already there - i assume these are the ones that are inherited

then add content to each variable for each page.

Having said that meta keywords and meta descriptions are not that important for seo any longer. So it might be easier to add any text you would have put in the meta description into the body text of the ext info page and forget about meta keywords

Comment

When you say fairly dated way of producing Single Product Pages,
          I think WebD is probably saying most people go for the

section
          --subsection
          ----product
          --subsection
          ----product
          --subsection
          ----product

approach to get single product pages - horses for courses etc

Comment

i didn't realise that this was the favoured way of doing this (creating single sub sections per product).... what's the reasoning behind this - is it due to the fact that there is then more potential functionality to develop or just as ext info pages are more restricted?
            Chris Adams

Comment

Performance and SEO mainly, there's a tutorial about SPP on my site if you fancy a read. From your own comments, you are working around the fields that are missing, using subsections stops that needing to happen. Site map picks up all products effectively too is another advantage.

Comment

Working...
              X