Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Actinic crashing on update/upload. Very frustrating, please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actinic crashing on update/upload. Very frustrating, please help!

I recently updated the logo of our store to a Valentine's Day themed logo, and tried to update the site. Actinic proceeded to completely erase all the HTML files on our server, then crash (by crash, I mean a completely unhelpful Windows Vista "Actinic Catalog has caused an error" crash with a "debug" button that attempts to launch Visual Basic then crashes once more). Obviously this left me very angry, and nobody can purchase from our site because EVERY HTML file in /acatalog/ has gone. This is a LIVE SITE. This is the message in the browser:

The requested URL /acatalog/********.html was not found on this server.

This applies to the entire catalogue. We are losing sales as we speak. What on earth is going on with Actinic? I am now onto my tenth attempt at updating the site, but each time it crashes after about 5 minutes as above. Not a word of helpful information as to why this is happening. Actinic takes almost 30 minutes just to load (?!) on a Core 2 Quad Q6600. The whole thing is a complete joke.

I've tried purge and refresh, compact databases and deleting FileList from the MDB file. Nothing is working. Please, someone suggest something quick and I would be most grateful. My suspicion is that yet again the resolution will be crude and hacky, with no real solution to the root of the problem, but as long as it puts our site back live again that's fine for now.

Thanks,

Matt

Install a backup and try that version instead. Reinstall actinic at the same time.

Comment

have you changed the script id then restart actinic, then try an upload.

sounds to me as thoguh your db is the problem, i take it you run a decent AV and spyware?

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Yes, we run good AV and spyware. I'll try to change the script number and update. Is it possible to find out exactly why this happened? I really would like to know, so it never happens again.

Comment

As Lee says go back to your last working snapshot to get you back in business.

Then put your failing site on a different PC, and try to upload to test space - you can now debug at leisure.

Comment

Thanks Pinbrook, but how do you propose I debug this? All I changed was the logo in Site Options - everything was working fine before this. It's a bug that has been introduced randomly due to the general flakiness of Actinic. I'd love to be proved wrong, but how do you go about debugging a seemingly random crash?

For the record, I'm still sitting here, attempting to update the site with gaps of 30 minutes while I wait for it to load up and a further 15 minutes while it generates the site. Still crashing each time randomly.

Comment

Did you look at your old thread http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=42232 where you solved a similar problem.
              Norman - www.drillpine.biz
              Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Do you have recent back-ups / snapshots?
                Have you tried reverting to one of these back-ups / snapshots?
                Darren Guppy
                Golf Tee Warehouse
                Golf Tees and Golf Accessories.

Comment

Did you change the script ID?

Here's another thread which might help.
                  Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

Thanks Pinbrook, but how do you propose I debug this?
                    My reply was more focused on getting your site up and running again as this was the priority - to do this the best short term solution would be to be to revert to an older working snapshot (ie the one you took before making any change - thus you are back in business. With your livelihood back in play you can now turn your attention to the DB issue without risking your income.

All I changed was the logo in Site Options - everything was working fine before this.
                    Ok as i said before take your working snapshot, put it on a separate PC, create a test acct to upload to. Upload without making any change, now change the logo in site options again. what happens? if it crashes, you have 2 databases to compare and/or be able to send to Actinic support

I'd love to be proved wrong, but how do you go about debugging a seemingly random crash?
                    You dont focus on the result, you focus on the change you are making.

Comment

I have restored a backup in the meantime, but this is still crashing 5 mins through the upload, every time. I've tried the "FileList" trick as Norman suggested, but it still crashes. I've tried changing the script ID but again it crashes.

Pinbrook: The only change I made was changing the logo to a different .PNG file in Site Options. Literally, nothing else at all was modified since the last update.

I will post a message if I get this working, but in the meantime any further suggestions would be much appreciated.

Comment

what AV are you running (AVG?) and when you changed the script id did you close actinic and compact BEFORE uploading, also dont use an id you have already used.

The last resort is to go to help | troublshooting and do a purge and refresh this will regenerate all your script files and any modifications to the pl & pm files you have made will be over written

Im guessing you did not have a snapshot from before? [EDIT] Sorry i notice you said backup - im guessing you mean the same thing [/EDIT]

Comment

Working...
                        X