Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat File import and variables

Hi,

Can anyone clear up for me if it is or not possible to use custom variables when using a flat file. Found a few threads like this: http://community.actinic.com/showthr...file+variables that mention it is.

I have created a RRP variable and what to map it, but its not appearing in the 'Map import Field'

TIA
    Web design Bradford

It is not possible to update a custom variable via flat file import as far as i know or at least i've never seen it happen. Be good to see if it could though, but if you can't see a place to map with, i don't see how you can update.

Comment

Well no,

I don't understand where the fields come from that you can map to. And can't understand why its not possible really.
      Web design Bradford

Comment

Perhaps the fiddle is to do a hierajdhvashgvasfas export, note the field names and then add those to a flat file import, that could be a nifty trick if it worked.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack View Post
          hierajdhvashgvasfas export
          Never heard that one before
          "If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions"

Comment

That word really annoys me typing it out, so i refuse to from now on .

Comment

You need to create a heiracheal (can never spell that word) import file.

The easiest way to do it is to using the 'Flat File Converter' that you will find in your Actinic directory.

Create a CSV spreadsheet with the info you want.
              Load that file into the Flat File Converter
              Generate a heiracheal file
              Import that into Actinic

Make sure you have your custom variables set up in Actinic first or the file will not import.

Let me know if you need more detailed information
              Unusual Silver Jewellery
              Giftmill - Unusual Gifts
              Crystal Healing Jewellery
              Steampunk Jewellery

Comment

LOL, i know where your coming from.

With importing custom variables you can only use higherthingymabob imports.
                You could get away with a basic one tho, and only use the product header if your updating, or if they are new products, list them and wrap then in a 'dump' section so you can just drag and drop then within Actinic. Remember to add the section header if you do this.
                "If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions"

Comment

What we do is to dynamically link to an external spreadsheet, so all product changes are made to the spreadsheet (when Actinic is closed) which is much quicker for us. Custom variable columns are added to the spreadsheet and then defined in Actinic, following which they appear as fields to be mapped to - see image.
                  Attached Files

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Comment

Mark,

that sounds like a better idea than the Hirefjsshjkasd import job. Is that only available in business though?

cheers for the other replies.

cant still believe that actinic still haven't got rrp as standard.
                    Web design Bradford

Comment

It's a brilliant feature, and one of the main reasons we are with Actinic, but you're right (I wasn't aware of this as have always used Business):

"Linking To An External File
                      Note: This feature is only available in Actinic Business and Actinic Designer

It is possible to link products in Actinic to an external database with a permanent dynamic link. This means that any change you make to products in the external file (whether that be a spreadsheet or a table in a database) will be immediately brought into Actinic. It is also possible to have product changes in Actinic be transferred into the external file."

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Comment

Working...
                      X