Accounting Software Advice Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accounting Software Advice Needed

I would appreciate some feedback about the best accouting software package to get.

I am running Actinic Business version 9 on Windows 7 and would like to use Actinic Link to export the orders. Currently orders are around the 300-400 per month mark.

I currently have Quickbooks 2004 on my old XP machine but it is not compatible with Windows 7. I am not averse to changing from Quickbooks but the package would have to be able to easily import orders from Actinic and as I only have two arms and legs not cost me one of each.
    Fitness for life!www.fitness-focus.co.uk

DIFN - Doing nothing is not an option

The Supplement Warehouse - Bodybuilding & Fitness Supplements

Hello Owen

As far as I am aware Actinic Link only works with Sage 50 and with Quickbooks. Sage is certainly better than Quickbooks with Actinic. We are using Sage 50 Accounts Professional 2008 (therefore not the most recent) with XP Pro. You will need to check with Sage/Actinic regarding the current versions of Sage and Windows 7. We are sticking with XP Pro.

We are processing the orders on Sage (coming in from two sites from Actinic), and far more than you, so there is no capacity problem.

Sarah

Comment

Actinic only works with old versions of Quickbooks (in the UK), ince the QB interface was changed.

So the best choice is Sage Line 50.

Chris

Comment

OK, thanks for the feedback. I will look at the Sage 50. On a scale of 1-10 how easy would you say you got up to speed with it from scratch?

Comment

I just moved to Sage after MS abandoned their accounts package.

Sage isn't too bad, but the last few days I've felt like I've shoved a spoon through my ears and given my brain a good stir. Not a nice feeling but I'm sure it's just a hurdle I need to get over.

Mike
          -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Sage 50

Hello again. There are a number of things that annoy me on Sage, but there is really no alternative, and overall it is OK. I would recommend that you pay for their support package (at least after the free support period) - a mistake I made in not doing so. Disadvantage of this is the expense, but in retrospect in my case it would have been worth it.

I would also recommend that you consider upping your computer/server capacity, depending on the number of transactions and number of users. We had insufficient at one point, Sage kept crashing, and we had a lot of corrupt files created, which caused more corruption to happen. With Support, the database could be uploaded to Sage to be corrected and then reinstated nice and clean. Drawback - business frozen while Sage working on it. Paid extra for express service to minimise this.

Sarah

Comment

I take it Sarah from what you are saying that Sage 50 is an online package?

Comment

Sorry to crash this thread, but I thought someone here might know... I have just been offered a package by Barclays, called 'Business Manager'. It includes Sage 50, as well as some other useful things.

I would like to take the package, but am nervous that Sage Link won't work with Sage 50 when it is bundled in this way with other pieces of software.

Has anyone else come across this and used successfully or otherwise? The Sage 50 part is by far the most important part of this software for us, and we definitely want it to link seamlessly with Actinic (on v905 currently), so won't go for it unless it does.

The software is called "Barclays Business Manager - featuring Sage 50 Accounts"

To complicate matters, we run Actinic on a MacPro, using Parallels 4 and Windows XP.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comment

We had this software from them for a while but were concerned about essentially renting the software rather than owning it outright. Where do you stand if you cancel your monthly charge to Barclays?

In my opinion you'd be better off buying Sage 50 yourself.

Comment

Most towns have agents for sage who will give you good startup help rather than buy from Sage or over internet. Quite helpfull to have a local expert available. Also all accountants will have a good knowledge of Sage and make life easier for year end etc
                    Chris Ashdown

Comment

Sage 50

Answering Owen's earlier question regarding whether Sage is an online package: it is accounting software that is installed on your computer or your office server.

We currently have it on our Microsoft Small Business Server with 3 users.

We purchased Actinic as it was the shopping cart software that works with Sage 50, using Actinic Link.

I don't see why the Barclay version would not work with Actinic Link in the same way - when installing you have to contact Sage for a code to input to give permission (SDO licence), just a telephone call. To be safe you could check with Barclays first. Personally I would rather buy than rent.

We purchased our Sage via a local agent/IT guy. It comes anyway with a certain length of time for free support, and a free trial period if I remember rightly. It was quite a generous amount of time, giving us sufficient time to set it up and iron out initial problems.

Sarah

Comment

I have used Sage 50 via two sites and to be honest it is ok but still a pain, certain issues with VAT on discounts go wrong and result in manually adjusting Sage which is not fun.

With my own site I avoided it but chose to use an accountant who does the task of entering transactions on Sage as I provide them with Actinic's own invoices - this only cost an extra £25 per Month in addition to my normal fee and is the best decision I have made!

PS: The Barclays offer is one I foolishly toolk up a year or so ago and unless you sign up for the whole banking thing you only get the basic Sage which will not link - if you go the whole way and get 50 it will cost the same in the long run. It also is tied in with Barclays and odd licensing - I would go to Sage direct with their support if pushed.
                        https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/

Ed Harrison - Menmuir Scotland

Comment

Hi Ed

Thanks for that... I am still thinking about this Barclays offer... was very suspicious to start with, but it does bundle Sage 50 with a few other useful things - particularly the legal service, which we could do with, as we expand.

I don't know - am nervous about the bundling idea, and a bit freaked out that the link software for Actinic might not work with the Sage 50 in this programme. We are having enough problems with the site as it is, never mind adding Sage50+ActinicLink via a programme with other bits in it!

Hmm... maybe have answered my own question now.

Comment

Working...
                          X