Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your experiences: Windows 7 64 bit with Actinic v9 (or 10)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are your experiences: Windows 7 64 bit with Actinic v9 (or 10)?

Hi all

I'm currently looking into upgrading from XP Pro 32bit to Windows 7 64bit for the PC I run my Actinic v9 site on.

Having done some research on the forum and elsewhere it seems like the solution is pretty stable. I've found a couple of references to upload problems but perhaps these are to do with the firewall software and Windows 7.

So all seems pretty good?

Just wondering if any one has had any major problems with running Actinic on Windows 7 64bit and if so, what they were?

Likewise, has anyone seen any significant improvements when using Actinic following the jump to Windows 7 64bit?

Kind regards

Paul

PS - I have also created a post in "Other Ecommerce Business Issues" about experiences of upgrading to Windows 7 64bit and the effect on non-Actinic applications: http://community.actinic.com/showthr...229#post301229
    KJ Beckett
    Men's Clothing & Accessories
    Cufflinks, Underwear, Ties, Grooming Products
    Bath, England
    Fast delivery to UK, USA and worldwide.
    Men's Fashion Blog

Originally posted by paulbeckett View Post
    Hi all

I'm currently looking into upgrading from XP Pro 32bit to Windows 7 64bit for the PC I run my Actinic v9 site on.

Having done some research on the forum and elsewhere it seems like the solution is pretty stable. I've found a couple of references to upload problems but perhaps these are to do with the firewall software and Windows 7.

So all seems pretty good?

Just wondering if any one has had any major problems with running Actinic on Windows 7 64bit and if so, what they were?

Likewise, has anyone seen any significant improvements when using Actinic following the jump to Windows 7 64bit?

Kind regards

Paul

PS - I have also created a post in "Other Ecommerce Business Issues" about experiences of upgrading to Windows 7 64bit and the effect on non-Actinic applications: http://community.actinic.com/showthr...229#post301229
    Actinic runs fine on Win7 64 bit other than the need to run in admin mode. Actinic is much faster that on XP Pro but then I increased the RAM from 4 to 12GB so I expect it to be.

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
    SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
    Custom Packages

Comment

Hi

other than the need to run in admin mode
      Does that cause any complications at all?

Paul
      KJ Beckett
      Bath, England
      Men's Fashion Blog

Comment

Originally posted by paulbeckett View Post
        Hi

Does that cause any complications at all?

Paul
        You get asked if it is ok to run each time you run Actinic (opaque screen and alert box) click yes and it proceeds OK. I do not think this is x64 specific but part of Win7 in general.

ps I run my user settings as an administrator, not a user or super user.

Overall my experience of Win7 x64 is very good, I am jumping Vista and moving from XP Pro to Win7 Pro for all our machines and testing it for use on our industrial software platforms. The only drawback in moving to x64 from 32bit is there is no direct upgrade path, you have to re-install the applications. It took about a day overall to get the machine up from 32 to 64 due to all the backup / restore of users settings (saved about 140Gb on my machine). Incidentally I also have win7 ultimate on a laptop that that is a great improvement on XP, speed of startup is excellent, though that machine was win7 from the start.

For 32 bit systems there appears to be an upgrade path via Vista 32.

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
        SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
        Custom Packages

Comment

I too have skipped Vista and went straight from XP to Win 7 Pro 64 bit. No problems in the few months since I upgraded.
          Norman - www.drillpine.biz
          Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

I also skipped Vista and took possession of my first W7 machine 2 weeks ago, to date i've had no issues at all. this is a new laptop with w7, not a xp/w7 upgrade on old hardware.

Comment

Our machine will be as "vanilla" as possible, with just Actinic on it (a dedicated Actinic PC). Hopefully all other applications will be on a seperate PC connected via a LAN.

Sounds like W7 64bit is pretty stable for use with Actinic!

Paul
              KJ Beckett
              Bath, England
              Men's Fashion Blog

Comment

Norman

I understand you use Acronis for workstations for backups etc, did you use acronis to copy your hard drive from XP to windows 7 Pro, or does it not accept that much of a jump

My understanding was acronis for workstations would automatically transfer to a new machine regardlesss of xp/ vists etc,

maybe just to much to ask
                Chris Ashdown

Comment

Working...
                X