Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How deal with international alphabet in the search engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How deal with international alphabet in the search engine?

Hello all,
    I've had a good look through the forums here and just can't find how to do this..
    Basically, I've got products with some French accents in the spelling of the description - e.g. Pétrus instead of Petrus.

In the actinic search engine, I want to enter petrus as the search term - without the accent. Actinic will not find the hit as the é and e are treated differently.

How do we deal with this? Is it an 'International' mod I need to find or is it a change to the search script code? Either way I'm at a real loss.

Can anyone help please?
    Many thanks,
    Paul.

You should have the accented characters set under Settings > Search Settings > Search Options > Valid Characters

As you point out e and é are different and the system is probably not quite up to the same strength as Google when it comes to interpreting what it thinks you mean.

Not sure if there is going to be an answer within Actinic as the search has always been a bit flaky at times. The obvious solution is to provide alternate spellings in the descriptions but this can look poor when trying to convince someone the '61 Pétrus is worth more than their car.

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Originally posted by jont View Post
      You should have the accented characters set under Settings > Search Settings > Search Options > Valid Characters

As you point out e and é are different and the system is probably not quite up to the same strength as Google when it comes to interpreting what it thinks you mean.

Not sure if there is going to be an answer within Actinic as the search has always been a bit flaky at times. The obvious solution is to provide alternate spellings in the descriptions but this can look poor when trying to convince someone the '61 Pétrus is worth more than their car.

Thanks for your feedback. Yes the characters are included as valid and the search does hit if you type in the accented character. It just wont hit if you just enter petrus. Clearly some jigeery-pokery is needed somewhere, I just dont know where to start!

Comment

Working...
      X