Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importing function - The short description of the product must not be blank

Hi

I am trying to do a heirachal import into a custom field I have made. All is correct on the field front.

I have a supplier sending a stock file to me, it has their part number, which exactly matches my product ID, and a stock value, which pops into my custom field.

Problem is when I try to import with these two columns only it says "The short description of the product must not be blank". BUT I dont want the suppliers description of products (Which is abbreviated) overwriting my short descriptions!

Any ideas on how I can import this data without overwriting my short description?

Thanks!

ScottyDog
    www.edgeandwax.co.uk
    Edge & Wax
    Ski & Snowboard Workshop

Add your short descriptions into the import file could be one way.

Comment

I've really never understood why the short description is required, but, unfortunately it is.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack View Post
        Add your short descriptions into the import file could be one way.
        Would do but this feed is 1400 products, and is the first of 8 feeds! I would be there a long time, and it is to be uploaded daily.

ScottyDog
        www.edgeandwax.co.uk
        Edge & Wax
        Ski & Snowboard Workshop

Comment

You could create a macro in Excel (or just use the lookup function) to look up the product ref in the exported catalog and then add the short description into your import file.

Otherwise if you're only updating the stock then you could create an SQL query to update the database.

Comment

Originally posted by drounding View Post
            You could create a macro in Excel (or just use the lookup function) to look up the product ref in the exported catalog and then add the short description into your import file.

Otherwise if you're only updating the stock then you could create an SQL query to update the database.
            Thanks, I was thinking a macro in excel to match up and add the description. Damned if I can write one though! Will have a go, but if anyone reading this is any good at writing macros, get in touch and I will gladly offer this work out!

Thanks

ScottyDog
            www.edgeandwax.co.uk
            Edge & Wax
            Ski & Snowboard Workshop

Comment

Do you have autogenerate product references selected in business settings - this can make short description mandatory.
              Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
              Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
              A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
              Product Mash for Sellerdeck
              Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
              Multichannel order processing
              Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

3 years on this still seems to be the case.

I have 2000 products that I am trying to import cost price and retail price only and are hitting the same wall.

Is there just a way to turn the requirement for short description off?
                Regards

Jason

Titan Jewellery (Swift Design)
                Zirconium Rings
                Damascus Steel Rings

Comment

3 years on, same question to you :-)
                  Do you have autogenerate product references selected in business settings - this can make short description mandatory.
                  Regards,
                  Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud

A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
                  Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
                  Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

No I don't, i did check this after reading your post above.
                    Regards

Jason

Titan Jewellery (Swift Design)
                    Zirconium Rings
                    Damascus Steel Rings

Comment

You shouldn't need short description for hierarchical import then, there are some examples here :

http://moleend.helpserve.com/Knowled...ndex/4/actinic

Are there any spaces in the product reference in the file you are importing - perhaps you could post a sample of the file here?

Regards,

Comment

Working...
                      X