Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A quick way to copy product between sites...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A quick way to copy product between sites...

Hello,
    We use Business Plus User V9 and some of the products are duplicated between sites. We do not use the external link option.

Does anyone have a method for copying products between sites. I have tried physically copying the products over & this works but it does get confused with customised variables. I have tried exporting the catalog and editing out the data (in excel) that is not required but once it has been re-saved Actinic will no longer import the file.

Any suggestions on where I could be going wrong with the above or has anyone found a way?

thanks

Importing and exporting is the way to do it. Make sure you add a dummy column at the end of the worksheet to fix 'expected....' errors.

Try it again and post your errors and perhaps a few lines of your import file.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I am exporting as a text-comma.csv file. As soon as I edit data in excel and they try & import an error message displaying "No fields were found in the first line of the file: Please enter the name of a file with valid fields"

I'm not taking out any of the first few lines, just some setions and products (as far as I can see anyway!!)

Comment

This is a problem with Excel and the way it handle csv files. Try adding a dummy column at the very end of the last column in the headers (the product header is often the longest), call it 'dummy' say and then populate all the rows below it with 'dummy' as well.

Comment

Whats wrong with cut and paste, just make sure no other users are logged onto the two sites when you do it as sometimes this screws it up, but we regulary cut multi products from one site and paste into another. once they are in you can ammend to your hearts content.

Make sure you copy the images from one site into the same site folder in the other before you cut and paste
          i.e. site1/images/xxx.jpg to site2/images/xxx.jpg
          Chris Ashdown

Comment

Thanks for the replies, and sorry for the delay, I have been away for a couple of days.

I will try the excel dummy column and row and see how that works.

I used to cut and paste products between sites & it worked well, but as I have increased the number of custom variables in different sites they tend to get jumbled and a little confused!

I'll let you know how I get on with the tweaking in Excel

Comment

Thanks for the tip in Excel... it has worked perfectly & saved me hours of time... much appreciated!

Comment

Working...
              X