Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

multiple identical categories that seem redundant

Technical question: (v8.5.3)
    I've created a new UserDefinedVariable and then click on the "advanced place of setting" tab, and decide that this variable is a "section only" variable,
    when I look at the list if content categories, I find 18 (eighteen) identical "standard" placement categories.
    If I try to delete any of them, its "in use"
    clearly I don't need all the settings (I do NOT use the choice of categories to restrict placements in any way shape or form.)

As a direct result of these multiple identical categories, Sometimes, when I create an new variable, the new variable won't show up in old sections unless I change the category on the "section" in order that my new UserDefinedVariable shows up

so ... the next step is the technical bit, (and yup, I've take a backup copy so I can play safely)

Looking inside the catalog.mdb at the actual tables, I have a field called [UserDefinedProperties].nVariableID that clearly correlates to the internal ID of the actual new variable thatI've just created, and also a field called [UserDefinedProperties].sContentID that correlates to the [catalogue section].nSectionID

can I actually re-point (using sql) the categories so that I can remove all but the single "standard category"

The reason I ask, is
    1) have just want to have ONE single category for any section regardles,
    2) tidy up categories generally across all entries, I have a total of 144 "standard categories" across all the entries and clearly thats not sensible.
    3) Clear up probable db corruption at an earlier date

can anyone explain the re-pointing required - quite happily playing sql, etc, its what I do for the day job, I just have to understand the concept behind the mess

if it needs a private email to prevent dangerous clues being given, thats ok.

hope someone can help

kev
Working...
X