Actinic v9 internal site searches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actinic v9 internal site searches

Is it possible to find out what people/browsers are searching for within the search feature of my site?
    I've just seen that Google Analytics seems to offer this service too.
    What do I need to do to get this working....it would be interesting to know what people are looking for on the site.

Hope somebody can help....remember guys, I'm an Actinic novice so no techie jargon! Simple english please!!!!

Max

Detailed in the KB and AUG i believe.

Comment

Originally posted by FrazerPart View Post
      Is it possible to find out what people/browsers are searching for within the search feature of my site?
      I've just seen that Google Analytics seems to offer this service too.
      What do I need to do to get this working....it would be interesting to know what people are looking for on the site.

Hope somebody can help....remember guys, I'm an Actinic novice so no techie jargon! Simple english please!!!!

Max
      If your host provides AWSTATS you can get this information and a lot more from there with no work on your part

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
      SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
      Custom Packages

Comment

Originally posted by malbro View Post
        If your host provides AWSTATS you can get this information and a lot more from there with no work on your part
        Malcolm,
        thanks for this tip. My host does provide AWSTATS and looking into the data, I can't see anything glaringly obvious that would suggests that what I am looking at are internal Actinic site search results.
        There's plenty of data showing keyword used in the search engines, but nothing for within the site itself.

Is there any configuration that needs to be done with AWSTATS in order for this info to be displayed?

Max

Comment

From the v9 AUG:
          Keeping a Log of Search Terms Used at the Site
          You can enable search term monitoring by editing ActinicConstants.pm and removing the comment (the '#') from the line:
          #$::SEARCH_WORD_LOG_FILE = "search.log";
          Setting any non empty file name to $::SEARCH_WORD_LOG_FILE will result a log file. E.g.
          $::SEARCH_WORD_LOG_FILE = "searchword.log";
          … will create a file called 'searchword.log' in the acatalog directory on the web server.
          The log file contains the following information:
          # 0 - date/time
          # 1 - browser name or IP address
          # 2 – referrer
          # 3 - customer ID
          # 4 - buyer ID
          # 5 - word list
          These values are comma separated. E.g. entering word "Desk" on the search page as unregistered customer will result the following line in the log file:
          2002/04/11 19:17, 10.3.4.1, http://10.3.4.2/actinic/acatalog/search.html,0,0,desk
          If more than one search word is entered then the words are separated by spaces. E.g.
          2002/04/11 20:00, 10.3.4.1, http://10.3.4.2/catalog-cgi/bb000241.pl,2,3,desk fan
          Note: the "2, 3" means that this search was made by a registered customer where the customer ID is 2 and the buyer ID is 3.

Comment

I have followed the instructions from the AUG and have reactivated the line of code suggested by removing the "#".
            I can see that the search.log file has been created, accessed and updated on the server.
            When I look at the search.log in notepad, having downloaded it, the file is empty inside (and before anybody asks, yes I have been on the site and done some searched)

Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?

Comment

have seen on the server that there are read/write permissions associated with this .log file. Could this have anything to do with it?

Comment

After spending a day trying to get this to work, it looks like the problem was down to the read/write permissions on the server.

Comment

Working...
                X