Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help required taking website offline urgently

Hi,

I hope someone is able to give me some urgent advice as to how to stop general access to our live site. I have lost all access to the website so asked the server people to redirect the web address to another site temporarily (a non actinic one). Unfortunately I have since found if the site is googled customers can still access the acatalog pages and order from there. Can anyone please advvise how is the best and quickest way to stop this.Ihave no access to it whatsoever.In novice answers please. Thanks in advance.

If you have no access then you can't do anything.
    Redirecting the web address will work but will take a few hours to propogate.

You could ask your host to change the the name of the acatalog folder and/or change permissions on the cgi-bin from 755 to something like 000.

What happened to the site - why the urgency?

Comment

Many, many thanks for your quick response. I have passed the information to the server people so hopefully they will be able to action it.

Unfortunately the computer which had the actinic site on has been unexectedly destroyed just before Christmas.I asked the server host to redirect the website to stop people ordering as I have no way to get into the site to find out what they have ordered or to suspend the site. I had a backup on a data stick but have tried to put it on a small netbook I have and have a message saying there is a compatibility problem with microsoft so will try again when I get a new main computer.

Although the website was redirected fairly quickly I mistakenly thought that would prevent anyone ordering but I can now see that by googling or by accessing via a bookmark orders are still being placed. It doesn't look good to take customers' money and then tell them you haven't a clue what they want!

Comment

i know its a bit late but the easiest way would have been to change the ns records to your other site and setup your actinic site as a alias on this domain. Then when you have sorted everything out change the ns records back.

if your host changed the redirect i guess you have some form of proof who you are so why could you not of ftp'ed to your site and deleted the cgi-bin files

Comment

Working...
        X