Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Do You Duplicate URL's?

Hi

I just wondered if there's a way of creating duplicate url's within Actinic. The only way I have found so far (which isn't creating a duplicate), is to right click on a url and select copy, then paste it in the catalogue where you want it to go. This way it just says copy-of...... then the name of the url.

eg. If the url name was: court-shoes.html, how do you create a duplicate url of court-shoes.html (rather than: copy-of-court-shoes.html).

Thanks

Jo

All the html pages are loaded into the acatalog folder online so you can't have duplicated URLs - this the reason Actinic renames the pages.

Comment

Read this 3 times and still don't know what you're after! It might help others if you explain in a bit more detail. Perhaps you're confusing URL which is basically a full internet address with Actinic's Section / Page Name.
      Norman - www.drillpine.biz
      Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

I do mean the page name/url within Actinic.

eg. If you have a page name/url in Actinic called www.court-shoes.html, is there a way of duplicating this page name/url, so that you can have the same page name/url in another section of the catalogue?

Comment

No. As Duncan said, each page name has to be unique.

They presumably contain different products, and if two had the same name, the second to be generated would overwrite the first one.
          Norman - www.drillpine.biz
          Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

?????????

duplicate url's would have to reside in different folders on your webserver, therefore this would be a different url. If you going to have the same content then this would be duplicate content and is black hat.

As pointed out actinic does not operate multiple folders and duplicate url's, come to think of it i cant think of any web program that does.

if you want the products to fetaure in more than one page then there are options to achieve this and would recommend a search of the kb and im sure theres something in the AUG

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo View Post
              I do mean the page name/url within Actinic.

eg. If you have a page name/url in Actinic called www.court-shoes.html, is there a way of duplicating this page name/url, so that you can have the same page name/url in another section of the catalogue?
              I think I know what you mean

So you'd have a heirarchy like

store top
              >Brand 1
              >>Court Shoes
              >Brand 2
              >>Court Shoes

Like this?

But, of course, you can't call the Brand 2 court shoes section just 'court shoes' because Actinic tells you you already have one (well, a URL with that name although it'd just create a copy_of name for it *shudders*)

We usually tackle this by doing the following

Store Top
              >Brand 1
              >>Brand 1 Court shoes
              >Brand 2
              >>Brand 2 Court Shoes

and this solves the problem (as well as putting more keywords in the court shoes URL itself.

Is this what you mean?
              Tracey

Comment

Even if you have the section names just as 'court shoes', as long as the html page name includes the brand name (which you should have for seo anyway), it would be fine and also unique that way.

Section Name - Court Shoes
                Section Page Name - adidas-court-shoes.html
                Page Title - Adidas Court Shoes

TIP: If you put Adidas Court Shoes in as the section name, it will give you the html page name as that when you apply, then after you have applied just remove the adidas part from the section name. It's an easier way of getting the page name in the right ballpark as easier to delete a name rather than add it.

There's a section tutorial on my site if things are a little grey in this area.

Comment

How Do You Duplicate URL's

Hi

Thanks for replies.
                  What I meant is what Darren B mentioned, I wanted products to feature in more than one page, so that a url for one product could also be featured on another page in the store. So far I haven't found a way of doing this?

Comment

You can copy a product and 'paste as duplicate', that should give you what you need.

Comment

...Thanks.
                      I meant to say in my previous message that all of my products are individual product pages, so there is a page for each product.
                      I just wanted to feature some of these individual product pages on other pages in the store, so that I can create an additional link to the product using the same url, without having to create a url like - www.copy-of-page-name.html.

I have tried to duplicate the url of the page, but it just as: www.copy-of-page-name.html..

Comment

You're probably not going to get that without spending some money on having custom work completed for you. Products + extended info pages can do that, but they have other issues.

Comment

...Ok thanks for your advice anyway.
                          I'll have a go at trying the extended info pages for now.

Comment

Working...
                          X