Fragments Searchable / Not searchable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fragments Searchable / Not searchable

I have multiple products per page and use Fragments at the top of the page for our online search. Now i want to use fragments at the bottom of the page which contains just content keywords for google etc but i don't want these to be searchable on our website (possibly bringing up too many results) Is there a way of selecting if a fragment is searchable or not?

The only other solution i can see is to use a product put and untick "can be ordered online" and tick "exclude from product feed" but not sure if it is wise to use products in this way.

Any advise would be greatly apprieciated (i don't have a url to post at the moment as i am experimenting offline).

Why not use a Variable instead? Create one called FooterKeywords settable at the Section level. Now put it into your Overall layout somewhere near the bottom.

Then, for each Section, just enter the text you want into said Variable.

The Starter Guide has a chapter "Adding Custom Fields" about this.
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

I prefer to use a fragment or product as it allows me to select an image and see the text more clearly without having to use HTML for a new line etc or inserting an image. Thanks for your suggestion though i think it will be usefull for other things.
      Is there any reason not to use a product and remove the option to purchase? Google won't see it as a product will it? but still crawl the text?

Comment

i want to use fragments at the bottom of the page which contains just content keywords for google
        Image, newlines, etc are not Google keywords.

You seem to now be wanting something different from your original post. Whoever else is willing to help would need you to be accurate in describing exactly what you want.

Remember that as well as external search engines there is a Search facility built into Actinic. You may / may not want this to link to such content. We won't know until you tell us.

Comment

Sorry sounded clear when I wrote it but now looking at it again perhaps not. I have laid out below what I mean as best I can.

Page is setup like this

Fragment: (Searchable using Search facility built into Actinic)

Product 1 with add to cart

Product 2 with add to cart

Product 3 with add to cart

Product 4 with add to cart

Product 5 with add to cart

Product 6 with add to cart

(Underneath all of the products that can be purchased I want if possible)

Heading (Product Information)
          Option for an image
          Text (Product1 is typically used in conjunction with Product2. Other models that use these products can be found below:
          Link to another page
          Link to another page
          Link to another page
          Link to another page (use html for this)

(Now I can do this using a product or fragment but have issues

1. if using a fragment it is still searchable on our website which I don’t want (only the top fragment I want to be searchable using Search facility built into Actinic).

2. Is there an issue using products in this way (google will still index the text etc).

Comment

I would create a variable and then you can place the html as the value of the variable. If you want it more flexible you can create a number of variables for each portion of the layout that you want. The content of the variable will not be indexed as part of the Actinic search facility, but Google will 'read' your page and index it.

Comment

Thanks for your replies. I have tried copying the html and pasting as a value but it only seems to accept a couple of lines of text at a time?
              Is there a way round this as I am trying to add a fair amount of text as reading on the internet to be indexed google likes to see content which i took to mean plenty of text with images and keywords which I am aiming to get at the bottom of my product pages.

Is there a reason why using the product without the option to purchase is a bad idea (will google still 'read' the page and index it).

Comment

You can use a product but it will then be included in the Actinic search. Ticking 'Exclude from product feed', as you mentioned in your opening post, has nothing to do with the Actinic search indexing.

If you need more space for the html in the variable then use a variable Type of 'File content' and place your html in a specified file. You may need to add this file to the Additional File List in Actinic. Note also that the file won't be included in a snapshot by default.

Comment

If you're not using Extended Info pages, then you could put your text into the Extended Info description.

Then use a custom Product Layout that displays the Extended Description instead of the Product One.

Set your Search settings to exclude Extended Info and you've got what you want.

Comment

Thank you both for your help. Using the extended info pages seems to be the best solution for me to work on.

Comment

Working...
                    X