Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actinic's test site - duplicate content

Hi all,

I seem to be having a bit of a problem with Actinic, but on the several occasions I've emailed them nothing has happened. Basically, they have a test site which I guess the developers upload customer sites to for testing out fixes, bug reports, etc. Not a problem.

However, for some reason they allow this to be indexed by Google, and it has indexed our entire site on their development server:

LINK REMOVED

What this means is that it appears in Google searches, and I am worried that it is going to be getting us penalised for duplicate content? Has anyone else had this issue, and if so did you manage to find the right person within Actinic to remove it - because so far I haven't.

Cheers,

Stuart
    Tacklebargains.co.uk

Located: Cheshire, UK

I assume you can ftp to the webspace, thus place a roots file at the root and disallow all traffic. This will bar all spiders from the site, slowly the urls indexed will get dropped.

Do a google search on robots, disallow to get the detail of how to do this.

Comment

Unfortunately its not a server which I have ftp access to, I believe it is used directly by Actinic developers. I've requested they stop google bot access in the past but no joy.

Do you think it would it have a detrimental effect to our site?
      Tacklebargains.co.uk

Comment

Just so people know, don't look at the root of that url.
        My AV just popped up with a trojan alert.
        "If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions"

Comment

Apologies - I hadnt gone to the root. It appears to be some sort of file server used by all at Actinic. If you search google for the root url, you can see guys like Chris Dicken hosting files on there.
          Tacklebargains.co.uk

Comment

Just so people know, don't look at the root of that url.
            My AV just popped up with a trojan alert.
            You know you can't say something like that and not expect everyone to go and have a look.

The site on the root has a huge number of trojans and I decided to close my browser after more than 10 different ones tried to load. Definitely not one for anyone who isn't confident in their AV program.

Mike
            -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

URL removed.

Comment

Hi Stuart,

Sorry about this, we normally have all of our test / development boxes secured with a robots.txt file to keep the search engines away. The content is now removed.

Ben
                Benjamin Dyer
                CEO - SellerDeck Ecommerce Software for SME's

SellerDeck is the new name for Actinic Desktop

Have you tried searching the Knowledge Base?

Comment

Thanks Ben - appreciated!
                  Tacklebargains.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                  X