VAT changed incorrectly in January

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT changed incorrectly in January

I tried to open this thread in the tax forum but I wasn't allowed to.

We updated the VAT rate on Jan 1st by changing the rate rather than adding a new rate. This was wrong, and I know I should have consulted the knowledge base before doing it.

Anyway, after I discovered this posting telling us how we should have done it (http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=48683) I posted a question asking how we might rectify the issue. It only seems to be a problem when we re-open old (2010) orders.

Someone from Actinic support kindly took up the case. After examining our snapshots they have recommended that we follow the instructions on the original post in order to fix the problem.

I wondered if anyone might know how to do this because I assumed these instructions should have been followed before the vat rise and couldn't be used retrospectively, after VAT has already been charged at the new rate.

I think I know what I want to do:

1. create a new (17.5%) vat rate
    2. allocate all orders from 2010 to this rate
    3. make the current (20%) rate the default

Any ideas anyone?

Also, if we leave things as they are, are there any implications beyond when we re-open the 17.5% orders? The last VAT return seems to have been correct.

Thanks

Bob

Originally posted by bookworm View Post
    Also, if we leave things as they are, are there any implications beyond when we re-open the 17.5% orders? The last VAT return seems to have been correct.
    Is your Actinic program held on your computer your ONLY set of records for VAT then?

Your VAT Return for the end of 2010 should have been completed by the end of April, latest? (Depends what method you are using). So why would you need to re-open an order? (When you do, the VAT changes, the amount paid becomes incorrect & the order goes back into the Pending' tab). So don't open old orders.

I think the rules say you are supposed to keep hard copies of invoices, so if you need a copy invoice, copy the original. Re-opening the order for this purpose puts the wrong date on it anyway.

Why else would you need to re-open a completed order? Do you keep copies of the Order Acknowledgement emails? Look up the order in your email client.

Finally, if you still think this necessary, take at least two snapshots. Transfer to an old computer that lurks in a corner & is not internet connected, and holds a copy of Actinic*. Import the snapshot. Change the VAT Rate to 17.5. Highlight all orders dated 4th January & after, hit 'delete'.

On the current PC, highlight all orders UP TO 3rd January and hit 'delete'. Current pc now holds 2011 20%; old pc has 2010 17.5% - problem solved.

However, this leads me to ask the question - what did you do at the end of 2009........?

* For this purpose you can use the same Licence Key.

Business Plus Users can licence a New_Site ("2011") each Financial Year, Calendar Year, or VAT Change, then switch between them. HOWEVER you must not download orders when in the wrong site - disconnection from the router is recommended.
    Paul
    Flower-Stands.co.uk - the UK's largest online supplier of Fresh Flower Merchandising Stands

Using V10.2 with Norman's brilliantly simple TABBER.

Comment

Many thanks, that's probably the solution, if we need to do anything at all.

Comment

Working...
      X