X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

custom variables, linked files, the limitations in v8

This is where its at:

V8 multisite
    stock held on a local shared access database.
    database has 6k+ products
    site has about 500 products

custom var set up (manufacturer)
    linked to a standard text field field in the access database

this setup casues actinic to go slow. really slow. moving a single product from 'unallocated external products' to the shop takes minutes not seconds.
    making a change to a product or section takes minutes to commit after the 'apply' button is pressed.

Ive tried this on several sites linked to the database. all react the same.

If i link the same external field to any standard actinic variable then its fine, everything is fine - no issues, so it has to be a problem
    with linking to custom variables.

I've another site that has a linked database with only 34 items in it - that site has no speed issues when using external fileds linked to custom variables.

so I am wondering if actinic v8 has a useability limit where customvars linked to external data are concerned?

does anyone else have a custom var taking data from an external database in a site that has thousands of products? if so, does it work OK for you?

and yes ive compacted both actinic and shared stock databases before you ask!

in the mean time, i'm going to use one of the standard variables to hold my brand and manufacturer data for google product purposes - just have to find one that accepts text and isnt used anywhere by my sites!
    Andy Warner

www.legendgames.co.uk - rpgs, boardgames, dice and other geeky stuff
    www.RPGMiniatures.com D&D and Star Wars Miniatures

Both running the Cart from Search Page hack

Also www.mainlymurder.co.uk www.thegamesplace.co.uk and www.thediceplace.co.uk

All running V8.5.2 Multisite on a windows 7 quad PC, augmented by Mole End automation, from a single shared database, using actinic specific hosting from Host-IT.

A client of mine had issues with the volume of cvs that linked to external data files that were section scoped. The store was all SPP.

The solution was to go to the v10 that was large memory aware as v11 is now by default.

Comment

I've tried limiting to 'product' scoped only - doesnt seem to help.
      Andy Warner

www.legendgames.co.uk - rpgs, boardgames, dice and other geeky stuff
      www.RPGMiniatures.com D&D and Star Wars Miniatures

Both running the Cart from Search Page hack

Also www.mainlymurder.co.uk www.thegamesplace.co.uk and www.thediceplace.co.uk

All running V8.5.2 Multisite on a windows 7 quad PC, augmented by Mole End automation, from a single shared database, using actinic specific hosting from Host-IT.

Comment

Working...
      X