Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exclude 1 product from Order Level discount?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exclude 1 product from Order Level discount?

Is there a way to exclude 1 product from Order Level discounts?

We offer customers 10% off a repeat order, using a code in Order Level discount
    We are about to add a new product, for which we only make a 10% margin. If they then use the code on a 2nd order, we'd make nothing, which would make it pointless to sell thus product.

If we use Cart Contents discount instead, we'd have to add every product in the store into 1 group, which would stop us being able to offer existing cart contents discounts to any other product group.

Is there any way at all to exclude a product from Order Level discounts?
    Could it be done with some customisation?
    Nigel
    Actinic user with history
    www.nigelsecostore.com

Good question, in short I think you are stuffed if other discounts are required. Up the price of the product or scrap selling it completely if such a low margin, I don't see another way around it.

Comment

I'm sure it could be done by customising the cart script where the discount is applied.. i.e. something along the lines of (not real code):

If ProductCode == "ABC1234" Then DiscountLevel = 0

I'm sure it's easier to describe in pseudo code than to do in reality and you'll also need to generate some sort of text to let the customer know why they aren't getting their 10% off.

Mike
      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hughes View Post
        I'm sure it could be done by customising the cart script where the discount is applied.. i.e. something along the lines of (not real code):

If ProductCode == "ABC1234" Then DiscountLevel = 0

I'm sure it's easier to describe in pseudo code than to do in reality and you'll also need to generate some sort of text to let the customer know why they aren't getting their 10% off.

Mike
        That sounds like the thing. The item value is relatively high, and we think it will be a big seller, so 10% could be quite a bit.

Mike - would you know how to do it?
        Nigel
        www.nigelsecostore.com

Comment

I've had a look and it doesn't look easy to me.

The problem is that as the discount is at the order level all the checking and calculating is being done without reference to the cart products. To make this work in the scripts it looks to me as if you'd need to:

- Load all the cart products into an array
          - run through them looking for a specific product reference
          - Decide how to ajust the discount if the product is found (reduce the discount based on how many were ordered at what price?).
          - present a message to the user explaining what's been done.

This isn't too difficult as much of the code can be re-used from other places but you do need someone who really knows what they're doing. It's not a simple three line mod.

The other way you could approach this is to validate the coupon on checkout and maybe add to cart and say "this coupon cannot be used when product XY is being purchased". It's probably not much easier though as it needs to check at different stages to avoid problems and isn't as clean for the user either.

If you really want to do this you're probably best approaching Norman Rouxel. He's far better at the scripts than anyone else here and this is the kind of thing he does for a living.

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Thanks Mike - I've emailed Norman
            Nigel
            www.nigelsecostore.com

Comment

Working...
            X