Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opening Digital Download links on Android devices

Hello all

I’d be grateful if anyone could offer some advice on the following please. I’d also be quite happy to discuss paying someone to do the work as it’s for a commercial website.

Our digital downloads are actually HTML files, from where the customer can download their chosen format of a language course, or all formats if they want – e.g. PC, Mac (and hopefully Android format).

Here is an example:

http://www.linkwordlanguages.com/example_download.htm

We don’t send the same HTML page to all customers as we sell a variety of different courses. We’ve therefore got numerous HTML files - which are our different products as far as Catalog is concerned.

The process for the customer on the PC or Mac is that they receive the receipt e-mail from Catalog, then click on the long digital download link in the e-mail, are then given the option to OPEN the HTML file that is the product, and when opened in the web browser they can then actually download their courses – i.e. the PC exe or Mac file, or both.

We’ve been running Actinic Catalog for several years with this set up with no issues. We’re currently using V9. However, I’ve run into a problem in the last few days as we’re in the process of introducing courses for Android.

The problem is that when you open the e-mail receipt on an Android device and click on the digital download link, the Android device automatically SAVES the HTML file we send rather than giving the option to open it. Because the customer can’t actually open the HTML page, they’re unable to access the page to download their courses from it.

I’ve tried this in a couple of e-mail packages on Android, and they both behave the same way. The HTML files that have been downloaded are present in the Downloads folder on the Android, but don’t respond at all when clicked.

This isn't an issue with Catalog as I understand we're sending a HTML file rather than a link, so the behaviour of Android saving the file isn't unreasonable. Would it be possible to make any modifications to send a link rather than a file for example?

However, I'm struggling to see a workaround, and would therefore be grateful if anyone had a suggestion please.

Kind Regards

Ash
Working...
X