Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat file import - section structure

Flat file import - section structure

With a flat file import how does it know when a section is a subsection of another.

In Site1 Lockets are a subsection of Necklaces but in the sample file I cannot see how that is defined.

Does a flat file import rely on the sections already existing in the site and then it writes to where they are?

I should probably know this but somehow don't!

Thank you.
    Jonathan Chappell
    Website Designer
    SellerDeck Website Designer
    Actinic to SellerDeck upgrades
    Graphicz Limited - www.graphicz.co.uk

It's a hierarchy with a pipe sign delimiter, e.g. (from my site):

Code:
    Matchbox|1-75 Regular Wheel|Regular Wheel 41-50
    'Matchbox' is section, '1-75 Regular Wheel' is subsection, 'Regular Wheel 41-50' is sub-subsection.

John
    John Ennals
    www.tortoys.co.uk

Comment

Hi John, thank you.

I had thought that but in the example flat file in the common folder there is not a 'pipe' to be seen - even searched for it!

Click image for larger version  Name:	nopipe.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.6 KB ID:	553852

You would think it would be Necklaces|Lockets or Earings|Birth Stone Earings

That is why I wondered if the example file depends on sections alreay existing???

Looking at an example file the client sent he does use 'Pipes' - so that is solved, wonder why the example one doesn't have them.

Thank you
      Jonathan Chappell
      Website Designer

Comment

I can't remember where I got it from - I may have tried various different symbols until I found something that worked! It was all a long time ago...

John
        John Ennals
        www.tortoys.co.uk

Comment

Separate Section names with the | symbol that's on the bottom left of most keyboards.

If you edit file (in Common) SampleFlatImportFile.csv and replace all:

Necklaces,"

with

Neckware|Necklaces,"

Code:
          Neckware|Necklaces,"Various necklaces, from pearls to diamonds, pendants and lockets.",,,,0,Necklaces.html,1,0,0,0,Diamond Pendant,,s-Diamond-Pendant.jpg,8000,1,0,1,2,,,0,,-1,0,0,25,0,0,0,0,,0,0,0,,,,,0,0,0,,-1,0,0,-1,,,0,
          Neckware|Necklaces,"Various necklaces, from pearls to diamonds, pendants and lockets.",,,,0,Necklaces.html,1,0,0,0,Gold Chain,Thick yellow gold chain. Perfect for all men.,s-Chain.jpg,8000,1,0,1,2,,,0,,-1,0,0,25,0,0,0,0,,0,0,0,,,,,0,0,0,,-1,0,0,-1,,,0,
          Neckware|Necklaces,"Various necklaces, from pearls to diamonds, pendants and lockets.",,,,0,Necklaces.html,1,0,0,0,Amethyst Heart Necklace,Perfectly cut heart in amethyst jewel held in a yellow gold casing with a thin chain.,s-Amethyst-Necklace.jpg,5000,1,0,1,2,,,0,,-1,0,0,25,0,0,0,0,,0,0,0,,,Necklace.html,,0,0,0,,-1,0,0,-1,,,0,
          Neckware|Necklaces,"Various necklaces, from pearls to diamonds, pendants and lockets.",,,,0,Necklaces.html,1,0,0,0,Pearl Necklace,Gorgeous pearl necklace. Perfect for a night out or special occasion.,s-Pearl-Necklace.jpg,6000,1,0,1,2,,,0,,-1,0,0,25,0,0,0,0,,0,0,0,,,,,0,0,0,,-1,0,0,-1,,,0,

And then import that as a Flat File into a test site with all products deleted you'll see it working.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.JPG Views:	0 Size:	26.1 KB ID:	553856
          Attached Files
          Norman - www.drillpine.biz
          Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Thank you Norman. It is just odd that the Sellerdeck example file doesn't have pipes!
            Jonathan Chappell
            Website Designer

Comment

Working...
            X