Norton Internet Security / FTP server problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I received my finished website CD from my developer on Monday and loaded it straight onto my PC. However, I quickly discovered that I couldn't run the site myself and had to switch control back to the developer.

The problem is that I can't connect to the FTP server. With the help of a number of parties, we've narrowed the problem down to my Norton Internet Security programme but can’t get any further.

When I switch off each element of the Norton, one at a time, and run the test in Advanced / Network Setup, I still can't connect.

BUT, if I disable the whole thing, it connects through without any problems.

Obviously I want to keep the Norton Internet Security switched on so could someone PLEASE tell me what I should change / re-configure with the Norton set-up to allow access as it should be.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Bob.

Bob
    All-Unied . (pronounced "all you need")
    . . . from click to campus

BTW . . .

I've got Business v7, have run the v7.01 patch and given permission for catalog.exe to access the internet through ports 20, 21, 80 and 443.

Bob

Comment

Have you got 'passive ftp' enabled?

Without it, the firewall has to allow a return ftp path back into your PC.

Mike
      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Mike,

Thanks, if you mean the "Use Passive FTP Transfers" box in the Advanced Network Setup, yes I've got that checked.

Bob.

Bob

Comment

When running the test in Andvanced / Network Setup I get the following narrative:

"Unable to connect to the FTP server "ftp.all-unied.com". The FTP session was terminated"

Bob

Comment

It sounds like a passive ftp problem to me. You could always try enabling FTP as directed in the following document.

http://216.109.117.135/search/cache?...icp=1&.intl=us

sadly it's a cached version in Yahoo as norton appear to have removed the original.

Mike

Comment

Could the problem be down to Windows XP Service Pack2?

Mike,

Thanks for finding that for me. I went though the whole thing and . . . . just for one moment I thought it was actually going to work. But it wasn't to be !!! I did however, find a few other bits that needed tidying up along the way.

With further investigation it became clear that the problem is with the Norton Internet Security.
              1/ The FTP connection fails whenever NIS is running but it runs OK using DOS FTP.
              2/ When I turn the NIS off but run the Windows firewall it's OK.

Could the problems I'm encountering have anything to do with the Windows XP Service Pack2 I installed on Tuesday??? If so, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in anticipation.

Bob.

Bob

Comment

Bob,

When NIS is running can you ftp from IE? e.g. If you type ftp.all-unied.com into the address bar of IE can you login and see your files?

And if not, try opening IE, select tools>Internet Options>Advanced and make sure 'use passive FTP (for firewall and DSL modem compatibility)' is ticked.

Mike

Comment

Mike,

I really appreciate your continued efforts to help me - thank you.

With NIS disabled I have no problems going into my FTP files - after entering my username and password. With NIS enabled however, no connection.

And yes the 'Use Passive FTP . . etc' is ticked.

Any other ideas?

Cheers,

Bob.

Bob

Comment

OK. So it's definitely NIS that's doing the blocking and it's blocking more than one program.

Normally, I'd expect a firewall to ask if you want to allow a program to access the internet rather than just blocking it.

You could try resetting your rules for Actinic (and or IE) as follows (from Norton's site and describes what to do for NIS 2004):

To manually reset the firewall rules for Internet-Enabled Programs:

- Open NIS.
                    - Click Personal Firewall.
                    - Click Configure.
                    - On the programs tab check "Turn on Automatic Program Control" if - unchecked.
                    - Click on the first item in the Manual Program Control list. (I guess just Actinic in this case).
                    - Press Ctrl+A on your keyboard, this will select all program rules.
                    - Click Remove.
                    - Click Yes to the warning message.
                    - Click OK to close any open windows.
                    - Re-create your program rules by running the program scan, or as the alerts pop up.

Mike

Comment

Still no further . . . .

Mike,

Thanks, tried all that but still have to switch off NIS before I can successfully access my FTP servers.

I've removed all the XP Service Pack 2 files to see if that helps. General connectivity seems better but not with my FTP / NIS problem.

Cheers,

Bob.

Bob

Comment

Weird.

I assume you're running an up to date version of NIS with autoupdate switched on and the Microsoft firewall switched off.

If so, the only thing I can think of is to re-install NIS. It's clearly misbehaving for some reason and if all else fails then a re-install is the only thing left.

If I were you though I'd keep SP2 installed. There are a lot of security fixes in there that I wouldn't want to be without.

Mike

Comment

What Next???

OK, so now I've run a system restore, loaded and run Ad-Aware & SpyBot (just in case there were some hidden gremlins that Norton was picking up) and got through all the suggested settings changes and . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I STILL CAN'T CONNECT TO THE FTP SERVER WITH NIS RUNNING !!!!!

I've now wasted three days (and nights!) trying to sort this problem out and just don't know what to do next.

Bob

Comment

The only thing I can think of is to contact Norton/Symantec support. If NIS won't let ftp through from IE then something is definitely broken.

Mike

Comment

Hi

Try changing the rule for actinic program in NIS from "automatic" to "Permit All"
                              Tony

Mandrake Press Ltd.
                              Actinic user since 1998

Comment

Working...
                              X