saving acatalog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

saving acatalog

Hi. Does anyone know the best way to save actinic? I need to save the whole site onto DVD becuase I'm formatting my hard drive so when I re-install actinic catalogue onto my PC I want to be able to download the catalogue from DVD and have it work on the newly installed actinic.

Cheers!

Sam
    smuel

Hi Sam

The way I do it is to use the snapshot export routine. This also takes all your orders. This feature also means that when you install you copy of actinic back on the system you can just use the import feature.
    Remember; The Arc was built by amateurs but the Titanic was built by professionals.
    When did I realise I was god? I was praying and realised I was talking to myself.

Comment

Cheers!

Does this keep all the styles and extra html pages you have added? What I mean is if I export it as a snapshot and then import it again later on a fresh copy of actinic will it be EXACTLY the same as now?

Sam
      smuel

Comment

Originally posted by smuel
        Cheers!

Does this keep all the styles and extra html pages you have added? What I mean is if I export it as a snapshot and then import it again later on a fresh copy of actinic will it be EXACTLY the same as now?

Sam
        Sam,

As long as you have all your extra files in the Additional Files list it will. As a safety measure I would do a snapshot, copy your Site1 folder and stick them both on the DVD. Then when you reinstall, delete the new site1 folder and replace with the old one then import your snapshot. I have done this before and it worked fine (as long as ALL your site files are inside your Site1 folder!)

Dave
        Cheers

David
        Located in Edinburgh UK

http://twitter.com/mcfinster

Comment

I'd also go into Housekeeping / Security and copy / paste all the info in there into a text file. This info is held in the Registry and nowhere in Site1.

Norman
          Norman - www.drillpine.biz
          Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

ooo

Ah yes i see! Imagine loosing all that!!

Another question --> Will this all work if I wanted to upgrade to V7 from V6 and just wanted to import the new site into V7 straight away??
            smuel

Comment

I will almost guarantee it wont be as simple as that but you can run the two alongside each other until you have V7 upgraded properly (as I did). I would install V6 and make sure it is all working then install V7 and go about amending anything that did not upgrade properly, using your V6 templates for reference. Some of the other (more experienced) regulars here will be able to advise on how best to do it effieciently but it should not be too difficult.

Dave
              Cheers

David
              Located in Edinburgh UK

http://twitter.com/mcfinster

Comment

Also take a note of the exact version of Actinic you are using HELP > ABOUT and download a copy of this setup file from HERE
                Owner of a broken heart

Comment

Done...

Hi I completed the import and have followed the guildlines you guys set out, I also went through a file upgrade wizard for files I have changed. I previously tried to replace the Site1 folder but this did not work and I had to re-install acatalog. Problem is some of the pages aren't sitting correctly. Is it safe to over write the Site1 folder?

Sam
                  smuel

Comment

Problem is some of the pages aren't sitting correctly.
                    Could you explain what you mean by this. Do you have an example online we can look at?
                    Is it safe to over write the Site1 folder?
                    The best thing to do would be to identify the templates that are not 'sitting correctly' and then just copy those templates into your new 'Site1' folder. If we can see an uploaded site, we might be able to advise you further.

Comment

Originally posted by smuel
                      Is it safe to over write the Site1 folder?
                      I learn't the hard way never overwrite just rename or move it
                      Remember; The Arc was built by amateurs but the Titanic was built by professionals.
                      When did I realise I was god? I was praying and realised I was talking to myself.

Comment

I cant upload the site until it's perfect on my PC. It's an already running catalogue you see. Even though I've copied those actual pages to the Site1 directory there are still some things which aren't quite right. I think it will take the same amount of time to work out how to fix them, than just re-create them anyway. I'll just re-create them! I quite agree with the renaming or moving method!

Sam
                        smuel

Comment

hmmmm

So I'm having more problems.....

I can't upload the now finished site. It gets to 'sending base files' and then crashed. Am thinking this is maybe something to do with Windows XP SP2?? Can you help me???

This is the error I got after it timed out...

------------------------------------------------------
                          An error occurred while transferring files to the web site.

Possible Cause:
                          Network timed out
                          Network is down
                          FTP server is down
                          Remote server disk is full
                          The permissions on the file or directory on the remote
                          server are locked
                          If the file being sent is a CGI script
                          (nqxxxxxx.pl or caxxxxxx.pl) someone else may be
                          using the same CGI script ID as you.
                          Recommendations:
                          Abort
                          Resolution:
                          Re-establish your network connection
                          Be sure the FTP server is running
                          Try re-installing the web site when the network is not so busy
                          Make sure the disk is not full on the remote server
                          Make sure the website and cgi-bin directories
                          on the remote server are writable
                          Make sure the files in the cgi-bin and website are writable
                          Make sure your CGI script ID in the Advanced |
                          Network Setup... dialog is unique for your web server.

File: bb000001.pl
                          ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Also when I test the network settings it also crashes.

Cheers guys,

Sam
                          smuel

Comment

Hi there

According to THIS POST the network settings don't crash, but they give you an error message about the mail server.

Has the crashing problem gone away then?

Another thing to try to test your firewall/FTP settings is try going to Internet Explorer and enter the ftp address of your FTP server e.g.

ftp://ftp.hostname.com/

It should then ask you for a username and password and you can log on to your server. If there is a problem then the issue is with your connection.

Comment

Working...
                            X