Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buy 3 – Choose a Bonus item free [but from a separate list of products that aren’t be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buy 3 – Choose a Bonus item free [but from a separate list of products that aren’t be

Buy 3 – Choose a Bonus item free [but from a separate list of products that aren’t being ‘sold’]

Thought this was going to be a doddle but ….

Scenario: The client has two types of products:
    Products: Products being sold
    Freebies: Products not being sold but offered as freebies to customers buying 3 Products. i.e. when a customer buys 3 products they can choose which freebie they want from the list of freebies. [The quantity of 3 is intended to be 3 different products as opposed to 3 of the same product]

Problems. Firstly, as the FREEBIE’s aren’t being sold in their own right how do I list them as products, so the customer can choose which one [if entitled], but prevent them from being purchased on their own? I intend to list them with a £0.00 selling price but include the weight so that carriage for the freebie would be added to the order, carriage being calculated on weight. I want customers to be able to view the ‘freebie’ list to encourage them to buy 3 instead of 1, but obviously don’t want them to be able to purchase just ‘freebies’. Thought the ‘hide on website’ option may do the trick but not sure. The site isn’t yet at a stage for uploading as am still populating it with products so can’t test this out or give you a link to it. I’m trying to work out in my mind how best to set this up or if it is actually possible.
    Secondly, how would I associate the ‘freebie’ list with the actual ‘products’ being sold?

This is my first site with Actinic [using Developer] so apologise if the answers are obvious. Any help, advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks, Sharon
    www.eyewear2gogo.com - designer sunglasses at discount prices
    www.solarequip.co.uk - solar products at discount prices!
    www.stuff2gogo.com - great stuff - great prices

Hi Sharon

apologise if the answers are obvious.
    Err.. not that obvious.

Okay, the product cannot be hidden otherwise, you will not be able to add this product to the cart when the conditions of the discount are met.
    The only way i could think of getting this to work, would be to create a section called Freebie. Thus actinic will generate a freebie page. Then edit your Act_Primary.html and hard code the sections links minus the freebie page.

So you can do the discounting as normal, so that when the condition is met on the checkout page, it will give you a link to the freebie page.

If anyone else knows of any other way, then please comment to this thread

Kind Regards
    Nadeem Rasool
    SellerDeck Development

Comment

Many thanks for your suggestion Nadeem.

Thought I'd got it cracked by:
      1) Listing the 'freebie' products with a ridiculously high price [that no-one in their right mind would pay].
      2) Set up a new product line template specifically for the 'freebie' section with the 'price' variable either removed or commented out.
      3) Set up the reward type as '% off highest priced' with a trigger based on a qty of 4

The ridiculously high price in [1] provides the criteria for [3] but is not visible to the customer because of [2].
      If a 'smart arse' customer tries to order just the 'freebies' he/she will soon remove them from their basket when they see the ridicously high price.

Unfortunately, there isn't a '% off highest priced' in the reward type.

Can I add this to the 'wish list' for version 7.02 please???

Am wondering if coupon codes could somehow be the answer?? [this is me thinking out loud].

Nadeem's suggestion is excellent except that stock lines and therefore sections will be changing quite frequently which could be a nightmare to keep re-hardcoding the sections to keep pace.

Many thanks, Sharon

Comment

The alternative to Nadeem's solution is to use a Section Link layout template for the link into the 'Freebie' section which has all the variable commented out within it e.g.
        Code:
        <!-- SectionLine HTML begin -->
        <!-- Insert HTML for the beginning of a section title -->

<!-- NETQUOTEVAR:SECTIONLINK NETQUOTEVAR:SECTIONIMAGE -->

<!-- NETQUOTEVAR:SECTIONNAME NETQUOTEVAR:SECTIONTEXT -->

NETQUOTEVAR:NEXT
        <!-- Insert HTML for the end of a section title -->
        <!-- SectionLine HTML end -->
        This would then not include a link to this section within your section list. Make sure that the section is always at the end of your list of sections otherwise you will have an ugly gap appearing.

Although you cannot have '% off highest' you can have '% off extra product' i.e. a percentage off the product given as a reward. So all you need to do is put your freebie products within a product group and use this product group as the reward for the special offer.

Comment

Many thanks Chris and Nadeem for your excellent suggestions.

Will I be able to test this out by creating a few [dummy] offline orders?
          The site is not yet at a stage for uploading but would like to eliminate / resolve as many probs before it is uploaded. [Not sure if it is a prerequiste for it to be uploaded before this feature works]

On a separate but similar line, have seen [somewhere] details for setting up Actinic as an offline demo by downloaded Apache etc etc. Can this be installed on the same PC being used for developing Actinic sites or would it be preferrable to install this on a seperate PC so it doesn't upset or interfere with the Actinic development installation.

Many thanks again for your much needed help!
          Regards, Sharon

Comment

Will I be able to test this out by creating a few [dummy] offline orders?
            The offline ordering will allow you test the discounting, but obviously not the 'hidden' section as this is an online feature.
            On a separate but similar line, have seen [somewhere] details for setting up Actinic as an offline demo by downloaded Apache etc etc.
            Details are in the Advanced User Guide. I would have this set up on the PC you are developing Actinic on and then you can create two import files for importing settings (by clicking the 'Export' button once you have entered your settings) - one for local, one for live - and then swap between them as necessary.

Comment

Many thanks indeed Chris and Nadeem for your invaluable help.
              Regards, Sharon

Comment

Working...
              X