Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Find /Replace

Hello

In my infinite wisdom I used an American spelling throughout my entire site..

I need to change this to a UK spelling.

This includes descriptions, attributes and choices.

Can I simply open the database in Access and perform a find a replace or is there an easier method to change the 1500 spellings?

Hope so..

Anyone?

I think I managed to change the attributes but the full description only shows the first line in the access table. Is the test of this HTML stored elsewhere?

Comment

Try exporting you site as a .csv file, open it with MS Access and do a find and replace as required.

Save the file with a new name, just in case, and import the new file into Actinic as a full replacement import.

All the product data is stored in this one text file.

Hope this helps

Peter

Comment

Thanks Peter I will give that a try.

Can you just confirm that I open the export with Access and not Excel?

THanks again

Comment

You can open the export file in Access, Excel or even Notepad!

Notepad might actually be your best bet as it will not add blank cells which Excell sometimes does. I edit all my hierarchical files as txt files in Word. Even better!

Comment

I probably meant excel as that is how I edit my files, but as CD says you can use pretty much any text editor that you want.

Excel has always worked fine for me, I find that notepad can be very slow on big files.

Try different applications and see which works best for you but before you do anything save an unedited copy of your original file somewhere safe - just in case, it's saves an awful lot of time if things do get screwed up!

Peter

Comment

Ok the export went well and I have now make the corrections.

When I import the file I get asked to MAP the following fields:

Header:Section
              Section name
              Section included in search
              IsDeleted

Any idea what these are supposed to map to?

Thanks for all your help so far.

Comment

When you export the original file and open it in excel or whatever the first 10 lines or so are the database field names, these should not be altered in any way.

When you come to re-import the data, as long as these top rows have not been altered they should automatically map to the correct fields, and will be shown with a tick next to them.

Also make sure that you are importing the file as a heirarchical import.

As long as you haven't altered the field names you should have no bother re-importing the file.

Peter

Comment

Thanks Peter

It worked a treat. I was trying to import it as a flat file.

Changed to heirarchical and it imported a dream.

This has saved me hours of ploughing through manually.

Comment

Working...
                  X