Problem with search highlighting in keyword tag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with search highlighting in keyword tag

I don't know if there is a fix for this...

With search highlight turned on, and a search that brings up a page using a keyword tag... The Over Zealous search tries to highlight words in the keyword tag resulting in a broken tag and some ugly half keywords at the top of the page.

I guess I'll switch off the search highlighting...
    Alec Moss
    Business Webpage Ltd
    Web Design
    Starter Websites

Sounds strange to me.

can you show us a page and keyword where this happens so we can investigate?

Mikie
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

I reported a similar bug ages ago (and even included a fix to the Perl).

If you tried to highlight a searhed term that was valid HTML like SELECT or OPTION or any text within <script...></script> tags then ka-boom.

I thought that it was all OK now. Are you running an old version of Actinic?

An URL would be nice plus the keywords that fail.

Norman
      Norman - www.drillpine.biz
      Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

It's running on Version 6 ( not sure of point version)

and here is a URL of the search for 'gill' on a page that has 'gill' in the keywords tag...

go to http://www.boatsnbits.co.uk/acatalog/

and search for 'gill', then choose the 'DINGHY' page and scroll to the top.

-Alec
        Alec Moss
        Business Webpage Ltd
        Web Design
        Starter Websites

Comment

You are running 6.1.3 and I see the problem.

The search highlighting is breaking the META Keywords tag. You should have
          Code:
          <META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="buoyancy aid,coast clothing<BR>women,coastal clothing women's,deck coats,dinghy harness,gill<BR>watch,gill clothes,gill clothing,gill marine,gill sailing clothes,sailing<BR>footwear,sailing caps,sailing clothes uk,sailing shorts">
          but are getting

Code:
          <META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="buoyancy aid,coast clothing<BR>women,coastal clothing women's,deck coats,dinghy harness<SPAN CLASS="actsearchhighlightcolor">,gill</SPAN><BR>watch<SPAN CLASS="actsearchhighlightcolor">,gill</SPAN> clothes<SPAN CLASS="actsearchhighlightcolor">,gill</SPAN> clothing<SPAN CLASS="actsearchhighlightcolor">,gill</SPAN> marine<SPAN CLASS="actsearchhighlightcolor">,gill</SPAN> sailing clothes,sailing<BR>footwear,sailing caps,sailing clothes uk,sailing shorts">
          There have been 2 updates to Actinic since 6.1.3 so it might be worth checking the change log to see if this problem is already fixed.

Norman

PS for Actinic. Why are <BR> being generated here. They're of no use in a meta tag and will hide the words on either side.

Comment

A rough fix - it won't generate invalid HTML - would be to go to Design / Text / Go to / Phase -1, ID 2211 and change from

<SPAN CLASS="actsearchhighlightcolor">

to

<SPAN CLASS=actsearchhighlightcolor>

You'll still get junk in the search highlighted META but it will be valid HTML junk and won't display. This shouldn't hurt search engines as they will be looking (if any bother with META anymore) at the normal static HTML pages.

Norman

Comment

Working...
            X