Presentation of searched for product

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Presentation of searched for product

I want to make Actinic - or use an addin - to present a product selected in a search much more prominently. Maybe with a different bgcolor or at the top of the page - or, with use of an clever add-in on a page of its own.

Our products are in familes and often several products on the will include the key word(s) thus the current highlighting by showing search words in colour can often show many products.

Our customers are getting confused regarding which is the one they actually selected - they basically have to start reading the details AGAIN having already done this on the search result page.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Truska.com
    Last edited by Truska; 21-Oct-2004, 03:27 PM. Reason: make or findable
    David Cunningham

www.truska.com
    -----------------------------
    ECommerce (SellerDeck) & Web Design, Hosting, Search Engine Optimisation, Social Media and Remote Backup (Truska Backup)

Hi there

The results page comes from a template called Act_ResultsTemplate.html. This can be found in "Advance | Template Manager | Searching"

Click on the "Results" button. This will bring up that template. When you open the template you will see is a table, so for

Code:
    <Actinic:S_LINK/><B><Actinic:S_PNAME/></B></A> <Actinic:S_SNAME/> <Actinic:S_PRICE/>
    You could simply add a background colour to that cell

Kind Regards
    Nadeem Rasool
    SellerDeck Development

Comment

Hi Nadeem

Thanks for your reply. The template you refer to is, I believe, the one that presents the results of the search itself (i.e. A list of products from throughout the Catalog matching the criteria) - When you select a product from this list you are taken to the actual Catalog page where the product resides and, using the target tag, to the product itself.

It is at this stage that our problem lies.

When you select a product, as mentioned, it takes you to it using the html actinic page name and target. We are finding that the selected product is not always at the top of page due to depth of page and position of product on the page. The colouring of search words is not ehough as fairly generic words ca be used thus offering a number of products on the same page/screen with highlighted/coloured text.

What we need is way to highlight only that ONE product selected from the list. This could be by only adding text colouring to the search text in the one selected product only - or by adding a bgcolor to the product etc.

In fact any way to ensure the surfer can easily identify the product.

If this is not clear reply and I will set up an example to demonstrate.

Thanks for your help so far.

David Cunningham
      David Cunningham

www.truska.com
      ECommerce (SellerDeck) & Web Design, Hosting, Search Engine Optimisation, Social Media and Remote Backup (Truska Backup)

Comment

The following bit of JavaScript might do it for you. It looks for an anchor tag in the page URL and outputs something if it finds it. You place it in the product template somewhere you want the highlight to appear. Use it to generate an image or to dynamically change style or use a pair of such patches to start and end a tag.

Code:
        <script language=JavaScript>
        <!--
        if ( location.href.search(/&PN=.*#NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTANCHOR/) > -1 ) document.write('WOWZA');
        // -->
        </script>
        Norman

PS you could do a much more complex match than I've bothered with.
        Norman - www.drillpine.biz
        Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Norman

This sounds just what I am looking for, I think, I will give this a try when I get a chance over the next 48hrs and let you know how I get on.

Thanks a lot for the help.

David Cunningham

PS

Could not wait - so just got stuck in - this is just what I am looking for - I tried it out by adding bgcolor=yellow to the TR tag - and -Yes it did it - I can see the potential for my clients problems so will show him tomorrow and hopefully it will resolve there problems in an acceptable manner.

Will sleep easy tonight - no pending worries

Thanks Again

David
          Last edited by Truska; 25-Oct-2004, 09:53 PM. Reason: updating information
          David Cunningham

www.truska.com

Comment

You'd have to do some conditional HTML generation. E.g. replace your existing <tr> with
            Code:
            <!--
            if ( location.href.search(/&PN=.*#NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTANCHOR/) > -1 ) 
              {
              document.write('<tr bgcolor="red">');
              }
            else
              {
              document.write('<tr>');
              }
            // -->
            </script>
            <noscript><tr></noscript>
            I've added the NOSCRIPT so that the page will be valid on non-JavaScript browsers.

Comment

Hope Normans answer works - I got this soutio working well although we are still working on other areas of the site and it is not live yet - It is very flexible in what can be achieved.
              Good Luck
              David
              David Cunningham

www.truska.com

Comment

Here's a cleaner way that uses style.

Replace the existing <tr> with
                Code:
                <tr id="STY_NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTREFERENCE">
                <!--
                if ( location.href.search(/&PN=.*#NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTANCHOR/) > -1 ) 
                  {
                  document.getElementById('STY_NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTREFERENCE').style.backgroundColor = 'red';
                  }
                // -->
                </script>
                Note:

You can add other lines to change other style attributes.

If you want to change the style of several tags then give them different id's e.g. id="ST1_NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTREFERENCE", id="ST2_NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTREFERENCE", etc. And move the JavaScript to below the last such tag and add lines that change each tag as required.

Comment

Working...
                X