Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Columns and rows - newbie

Hello All

Please forgive a newbie question. I am setting up my first site and as of now in each category my products show 1 on top of each other (ie. 1 column with 1 row). I am hoping to be able to show them in a 2 columns per row display. For example 2 products on the first row, 2 on the second, etc...

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what I would edit to create rows and columns and what code in the HTML (if necessary) to edit.

Thanks in advance!

Advanced User Guide

Download the Advanced User Guide from actinic.co.uk and go to page 16. The answer to your question is there. It takes a little working through but is generally excellent
    Pat Nelson
    vcommunity - the business to business network
    email: pnelson@vcommunity.org.uk
    www.vcommunity.org.uk
    Experts in database integration for Actinic Stores

For web hosting, visit: www.vhost.org.uk

Advertise your company for £1 for a year on www.1000adpages.com

Comment

Thanks! That works!

Any way that I can increase the amount of space between the 2 columns?

Thanks ina dvance for all the help!

Comment

I wrote that patch. I'm not sure if the Advanced Guide is as up-to-date as my current one. You can find that on www.drillpine.biz/actinicstuff/

As to adding extra space between rows then in your product templates look for the line:-

Code:
        if ( currentcol++ == 0 ) document.write('<tr><td colspan=3><table border=0><tr>'); document.write('<td width="' + colwidth + '%" valign=top>');
        and change to

Code:
        if ( currentcol++ == 0 ) document.write('<tr><td height=50 colspan=3>&nbsp;</td></tr><tr><td colspan=3><table border=0><tr>'); document.write('<td width="' + colwidth + '%" valign=top>');
        changing the height=50 bit to suit.

Norman
        Norman - www.drillpine.biz
        Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Thanks for the information!

I am a slow learner right now!

Can you tell me how to change the spacing between columns (ie left to right) as well?

Thanks - your help is greatly appreciated.

Kevin

Comment

Jam on it, eh! Sorry that's actually quite difficult.

The best I can suggest is to add some cellspacing or cellpadding to the table in your product templates in the line
            Code:
              <!-- START each product lives in this table - alter below to rearrange items -->
              <table width="100%">
            This will cause a little spacing at the left and right edges of your page and may also solve your earlier request in a simpler way.

Norman

Comment

Layout

Hi Normn,
              Ive have been trying to set this up is some of my sections. The Layout of the products are fine - However, the price is on the right hand side of all the products, unlike the 'add to cart' button etc. and uses up to much space in the columns. Do you know how I can move the prices to underneath the images?

Best regards

Niels

Comment

That's just standard Template editing stuff. The product elements live in table that's between the

<!-- START each product lives in this table - alter below to rearrange items -->

and

<!-- END each product lives in this table - alter above to rearrange items -->

bits.

Also you may want to visit www.drillpine.biz/actinicstuff/ for the most up-to-date version of that patch (I wrote it) as the Advanced Guide PDF document tends to break some of the code due to the way it lays out the page.

Comment

Hi Norman,
                  Thanks for the quick reply, I have tried to change the layout - however, when previewing it has gone back into single columns and has these little buggers everywhere '-->'
                  Do you have any ideas what I am doing incorrect - sorry to be a pest

Best regards

<table width="100%">
                  <tr>
                  <td> <a name="NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTANCHOR"><span class="actregular"><b>NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTNAME</b></span></a> <span class="actxsmall">
                  NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTREF </td>
                  </tr>
                  <tr>
                  <td valign="TOP" align="CENTER">NETQUOTEVAR:TEMPLATEBEGINXML NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTIMAGE</td>
                  </tr>
                  <tr>
                  <td valign="TOP" align="CENTER">NETQUOTEVAR:EXTINFOLINKNETQUOTEVAR:EXTINFOBUTTON
                  <br> <span class="actxsmall">NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTBEGINLINKNETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTLINKTEXTNETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTENDLINK
                  NETQUOTEVAR:PRICEEXPLANATION </span><br> <b>NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTPRICE</b><br>
                  <span class="actxsmall">NETQUOTEVARISCOUNTINFO </span> </td>
                  </tr>
                  <tr>
                  <td> NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTDESCRIPTION <span class="actxsmall">NETQUOTEVAR:OTHERINFOPROMPT
                  </span> <span class="actxsmall">NETQUOTEVARATEPROMPT </span> </td>
                  </tr>
                  <tr>
                  <td align="LEFT"> <span class="actxsmall"> NETQUOTEVAR:CARTERRORXMLNETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTQUANTITY<br>
                  <Actinic:ACTIONS>NETQUOTEVAR:ADDTOCARTBUTTON</Actinic:ACTIONS> </span> NETQUOTEVAR:TEMPLATEENDXML
                  </td>
                  </tr>
                  </table>
                  <!-- END each product lives in this table - alter above to rearrange items -->

Comment

That code looks OK (brief look only). You must have changed something else. Also I can only make time to give detailed help to those who respect the "DonationWare" status of these patches.

Comment

Did you fix the problem?

Comment

Hi Norman,
                        I have made a donation via your site as requested - can you take a look for me ?
                        Regards

Comment

What's the URL?

Comment

I think we have sorted it for the moment - the templates seem to be very temperamental to change.

Regards

Comment

Sorry Norman,
                              We havn't sorted it - here is the url http://www.mx1.co.uk/acatalog/Coming_Soon.html
                              Basically - we need
                              Title
                              Info
                              Price
                              Add to Cart

Please could you take a look when you get time ?

Best regards

Comment

Working...
                              X