Upgrading to 7.02...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading to 7.02...

When my 'site's doing the initial refresh to 7.02 level, I've had quite a few `Operation Timed Out` warnings when I've had to click on Continue. I've selected the Advanced FTP box. Maybe its just the initial refresh but I thought one of the major issues with the new release was the better ftp'ing. Its a bit of a pain actually/virtually watching a refresh. Maybe I missed out something?
    Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Try it without *any* of the FTP boxes checked. I had a heck of a problem with mine.
    Supporting the environment. This post uses 100% recycled electrons.
    Bob Isaac
    Director/Web Admin
    Volvo Owners Club Ltd

Actinic MS Business Version 8.5.2

Comment

The refresh has completed, had to click the 'continue' button a few times though. Wonder why that was? Downloading/updating okay so far.
      Football Heaven

Comment

Roughly every second update has a `Operation Timed Out` error. I have Enchanced FTP'ing enabled.

Any idea why this is, its one of the improvements allegedly.
        Football Heaven

Comment

Having exactly the same problem at the moment, but as of yet have been unable to complete the upload.
          enhanced FTP is on and I have tried a few different settings but doesn't seem to make much difference.

I don't want to go back to using the Modem which was the only way I could ever guarantee maintaining an upload

Any Help or ideas please
          David
          Tantronics Limited
          Batteries - Chargers - Portable Power - Photo Accessories
          www.tantronics.co.uk

Comment

Disable Enhanced FTP.

Bob
            Bob Isaac
            Director/Web Admin
            Volvo Owners Club Ltd

Comment

Hi Bob,

Tried that, but end up back where I have been since we went broadband, it just hangs while sending files & I end up having to restart Catalog.

I've been waiting for the 7.02 release in the hope it would fix this problem, but a full upload only seems to work on the modem - which with over 1000 products takes an age.

I'll keep trying different setting in the advanced options, but it would probably help if i knew what i was doing

Thanks anyway.
              David
              Tantronics Limited
              www.tantronics.co.uk

Comment

This release was supposed to address FTP issues, but it seems it has not. It may have created other issues. Are you on a shared web area or do you have your own server?
                Bob Isaac
                Director/Web Admin
                Volvo Owners Club Ltd

Comment

It's a shared server at our ISP, I think it may have something to do with our router as it works fine on the modem, but even when I set my PC as the DMZ on the router it still doesn't work.

I'll have a last fiddle with the settings now, if that doesn't work then I'll fire up the modem for a few hours!

Ho-Hum, this unfortunately is the sort of thing that makes managing our site updates a real pain and constantly makes me wonder if it's just us, surely there can't be too many Actinic customers having this sort of trouble, otherwise they would never sell any.

it's failed again while typing, so the modem it is then
                  David
                  Tantronics Limited
                  www.tantronics.co.uk

Comment

Mine is hosted with Clara. This issue may give problems uploading with the Mole End automation overnight too. Not good.
                    Football Heaven

Comment

This release was supposed to address FTP issues, but it seems it has not.
                      In our defence, I would say that 7.0.2 has dealt with many of the FTP issues faced by our customers, but it clearly has not dealt with every single one of them. Hopefully, we can isolate what is causing the remaining issues and find a solution for them.

Problems like this are very tricky to pin down as they are caused by a variety of factors. We do test uploading in many different configurations internally, but there will be some which still cause Actinic to trip up. There are several things I would recommend....

1) Once of the features of Enhanced FTP is that it produces a *.log file called ActinicFTP_1.log in the Site1 (or equivalent) folder. Could you take a look at this file and see if it gives any information.

2) Following any kind of update it is generally advised to perform a refresh. I would recommend going to 'Help | Troubleshooting | Web Site Purge and Refresh' and select 'Delete Perl Files...'. I see that we need to make this clearer in the upgrading documentation and instructions and I will do so.

3) It may be that this forum is not the most ideal place to diagnose and fix problems like this, and it may be advisable to register an email support query at http://www.actinic.co.uk/support/register.htm At least that way we can get hold of your FTP details, test your server and see if there is anything there causing a problem.

4) It is unfortunate that at the same time we release 7.0.2, Microsoft release SP2 for XP - which has been the cause of a number of connection problems for our customers (e.g. an extra firewall has suddenly appeared which was not there before). Could you let us know whether you are using XP with SP2?

I hope that gives us a place to start sorting out these problems for you all.

Comment

Had a look at the log file, it seems to have the info for the last update, which was problem free. Can forward this file to you if required though. I'm on xp but have NOT updated to SP2, still on SP1 at the moment.

No problems updating today, done three updates.

As a slight off topic issue, I'd be nice if you could do a refresh without uploading the images everytime. I realise pages get created and replaced but the images (& the paths to them stay the same).
                        Football Heaven

Comment

Hi George,

I couldn't agree more, why do all the image files, extra files and even the hlml files have to be uploaded if we are not actually changing the look of any of the pages.

Hi Chris,

1) I have looked at the log file but no clues, probably over written when I had a succesful upload, I'll have another look next tume it fails (shouldn't be long - sorry)

2) Absolutely, it would have saved me hours, but if this is the correct way to update the site, why is it in "Troubleshooting", surely thats only somewhere to go if you have trouble.

3) We did raise a support query (00024267) but did't get a solution, just a yes it's a problem.

4) I have deliberately not installed SP2 on the development machine, though it is installed on the machine we use for downloading orders.

I will be trying a few things here over the nexd day or so, including bypassing the router, replacing the router with a new one and uploading from a different machine, this should at least help me identify where the problem is.
                          David
                          Tantronics Limited
                          www.tantronics.co.uk

Comment

David/George

Many thanks for the extra information, and I am very glad that you are both up and running again.

I have fed back all your comments to the product management team in the hope of smoothing the upgrade process for future releases.

Comment

Working...
                            X