Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMTP Error

Hi All

We have just had to swap our hosting server cause they where rubbish. But now when we try to send out e-mails we get the following error (please see attachment). I've uploaded 3 times so its not that. Has anyone else had this problem.

Regards

Russell
    Attached Files
    Remember; The Arc was built by amateurs but the Titanic was built by professionals.
    When did I realise I was god? I was praying and realised I was talking to myself.

Each ISP (host) has its own SMTP server (simple mail transfer protocol) as you have swapped hosting providers you will need to ask them what their SMTP server is , and change it in the Network setup.
    <br />
    Website | Multimedia | Design - Bradford [ <a href="http://www.futureprimeval.com" title="Website | Multimedia | Design - Bradford [ Future Primeval ]" target="_new">Future Primeval</a> ]
    <br />

Comment

Hi

We didn't need to change the SMTP settings for the ISP it was smtp.everyday-essentials.co.uk and its still is.
      Remember; The Arc was built by amateurs but the Titanic was built by professionals.
      When did I realise I was god? I was praying and realised I was talking to myself.

Comment

remove smtp vs local smtp

Originally posted by RussellPing

We didn't need to change the SMTP settings for the ISP it was smtp.everyday-essentials.co.uk and its still is.

Your error message you recieve is when your local machine tries to validate smtp.everyday-essentials.co.uk as its smtp server using your ISP which will fail.
        Remotely, on your server, the email generated scripts will come from everyday-essentials.co.uk and use smtp.everyday-essentials.co.uk as the "virtual" email server to send from. This will help the emails be validated by other recipient mail servers when they actio a reverse DNS lookup.

In short, smtp.everyday-essentials.co.uk (or localhost) will work for your site LIVE on your webserver on the internet however you will need to have your new ISP's SMTP mail server as your LOCAL SMTP server in order to succesfully send emails from your LOCAL actinic installation (sending invoices, delivery notification etc)

hope this clarifies this issue for you.

NOTE FOR ACTINIC DEVELOPERS WISHLIST.
        How about a Remote and Local SMTP server setting in the network setup?
        Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
        Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
        SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

In short, smtp.everyday-essentials.co.uk (or localhost) will work for your site LIVE on your webserver on the internet however you will need to have your new ISP's SMTP mail server as your LOCAL SMTP server in order to succesfully send emails from your LOCAL actinic installation (sending invoices, delivery notification etc)
          Not Quite. Emails sent from actinic on your Pc are uploaded to the web server and sent from there. They aren't smtp'd from your PC which is why Actinic only needs one smtp setting.

Mike
          -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

In short - the SMTP server must be the one available with your website host, not your ISP (unless they happen to be one and the same).

Tim Weaver
            WISE.CO.UK
            Consultancy, Innovation & Solutions

tim.weaver@wise.co.uk
            http://www.wise.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for all your responses, we had tried everything and then found a perl script change and now it all works.

Thanks

Russell

Comment

Same problem

Originally posted by RussellPing
                Thanks for all your responses, we had tried everything and then found a perl script change and now it all works.

Thanks

Russell

Hi Russell,

what was the change you made to fix this? I've got a client that is having the same problem. Their ISP is NTL, their web host is different network with different SMTP server. We've been using the web hosts smtp server mail.theirdomain.co.uk but it has the same problems you have had.

Any help would be much appreciated.

TIA
                www.virtuaffinity.com

Comment

i know this is just an idea but do you need to use SMTP?

im taking it POP3 isnt secure enough?

Comment

The Perl script change referred to by Russel is probably the fix to use sendmail rather than SMTP. Check out http://www.drillpine.biz/actinicstuff/index.html (right at the bottom). It says it is for v6 but it should work for v7 as well. Also, it is donationware, so please check donation information at the top of the page.
                    im taking it POP3 isnt secure enough?
                    The reason we use SMTP rather than POP3 is that SMTP is for sending mail, but POP3 is for incoming mail.

Comment

Blue Genesis Email Server Problem

Hi,
                      I'm using bluegenesis.ca for hosting this site. When I set the email up it gives me the following message.
                      "The computer you specified as your mail server is not a valid mail (SMTP) server. Check the computer name or address and try again."

I have put this email in my Outlook Espress, WORKS FINE! Tried it in Actinic with password & without.

I contacted them, but they weren't much help.
                      Here is "what they said"

Please indicate which settings have you used for email client. We have tested your email account extensively, and sending email (as well as receiving) functions properly.
                      The correct default settings should be:
                      Email address: diana@flowers-baskets-roses.com
                      User/Account name: diana.flowers-baskets-roses.com
                      SMTP server: mail.flowers-baskets-roses.com
                      POP3 server: mail.flowers-baskets-roses.com
                      In case your ISP requires using their own SMTP server, you should set port to 1025 instead of default port 25.

This is a big company maybe someone else has had this problem?

I don't know what to do here, at a dead end. This is the first time I've ever had this problem.
                      Regards,
                      Randy

Comment

Apart from the earlier comments in this thread it's difficult to know what else to suggest. You could try just entering flowers-baskets-roses.com or diana.flowers-baskets-roses.com and test the network setup to see what error messages you get back. That might give you a bit more information to go on.

Does the ISP claim to supprt Actinic at all, (often in FAQs ISPs will mention Actinic and give instructions for setting it up)? Also do they provide a sendmail script that you could examine and try out independantly of Actinic or in place of smtp as suggested elsewhere in this thread?

Incidentally, many of the images on the home page are not displaying because the image path is set as relative to the C: drive, not the website root, e.g.

img src="file:///C|/websites/DHO%20Flowers/Floral_Basket_Images/wedding_flowers_bridal_department.jpg"

Tim Weaver
                        WISE.CO.UK
                        Consultancy, Innovation & Solutions

tim.weaver@wise.co.uk
                        http://www.wise.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                        X