CGI-Bin error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CGI-Bin error

I've read some post but still having a problem when uploading my site.
    cant write to cgi-bin, not there, etc. i have spoken to the hosting compay and they have given my settings info (and reset permission on the server) - this works for other people who use actinic with them. the thing is that the problem is intermittent, it is all ok then keeps giving this error. sometimes it is early in the upload and other times it at the end or not at all. I realy could do with some advice.

If you post your network settings (with the username & password commented out) and your web host, then there's a good chance someone here will spot the culprit.

Are you on Unix or Windows?

Mike

PS. You can export your network settings to a text file and then all you need to do is copy and paste into the forum.
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Forgot password so re reged

Forgot password so re reged:
      ok this is with fasthost on linux folder prem's on cgi=755 actalog=777
      Point' Keep getting files out side of the route folder not all the time though!!'

setting:

HTTPPROXYMODE 0
      HTTPPROXYADDRESS
      HTTPPROXYPORT 80
      HTTPPROXYUSER
      HTTPPROXYPASSWORD
      FTPPROXYMODE 0
      FTPPROXYADDRESS
      FTPPROXYPORT 21
      FTPPROXYUSER
      FTPPROXYPASSWORD
      SCRIPTID 1
      SCRIPTEXT .pl
      SMTPHOST smtp.opticswarehouse.com
      WEBSITEURL http://www.opticswarehouse.com/
      IGNOREPASSIVEERRORS false
      USERELATIVECGIURLS false
      PATHTOPERL /usr/bin/perl
      CATALOGURL http://www.opticswarehouse.com/acatalog/
      CGIBINURL http://www.opticswarehouse.com/cgi-bin/
      PATHFROMCGITOCATALOG ../acatalog/
      CODEBASE ./
      FTPHOST ftp.opticswarehouse.com
      FTPUSERNAME ***************
      FTPPASSWORD ***************
      PATHTOCGIBIN htdocs/cgi-bin/
      USEPASSIVEFTP false
      FTPPATHFROMCGITOCATALOG ../acatalog/

This is driven me mad & why intermittent?

any help would be so good

Comment

Hi there

I know with some fasthost server you require to use PuTTy to change permission. PuTTy is a command line SSH client program to change permission.

You network setting seem fine to me.

This is driven me mad & why intermittent?
        If you have not changed anything on your pc, and the error is still happening, then it does suggest it a server issue with fasthost.

Please do a search on the community with the term fasthost. See if anyone else has any issue similar to yours.

Kind Regards
        Nadeem Rasool
        SellerDeck Development

Comment

Hi

I had this problem and the hosting company could not find anything wrong with it. In the end after about 3 days of the site not been 100% we swapped hosting servers and everything was fine. If you've got some space somewhere that you can upload to test might be worth doing that, if not ask on the forum there are LOTS of people that host sites all nice as well.

Regards

Russell
          Remember; The Arc was built by amateurs but the Titanic was built by professionals.
          When did I realise I was god? I was praying and realised I was talking to myself.

Comment

Done all that

Check out all i could before posting. I have tried uploading to a diddefent server to with no luck. the problem is intermittent, the test runs ok it when uploading the cgi-bin error happens, the thing i dont understand is that the files are random that have this error - not the same every time - also they are not script files - generaly that are either images or html files - so what that has to do with the cgi-bin i don't know. some times i end up with files outside of the route folder ie 1 or 2 cat files. Any further ideas would be great before im bauld

Comment

Hi

Yeah, thats the exact problem I had, if you want I could see if my serive provider would let you use a section of ours???
              Remember; The Arc was built by amateurs but the Titanic was built by professionals.
              When did I realise I was god? I was praying and realised I was talking to myself.

Comment

Can you post your directory structure here (just the relevant directories). There are some minor differences between your settings and other fasthost users (that have posted settings on the forum) but I'd rather try to give you the correct answer than use trial and error.

Mike

Comment

Thank again Mike,

Ok, Im using another server to test on but its giving me the same errors!

The setting are as follows:

HTTPPROXYMODE 0
                  HTTPPROXYADDRESS
                  HTTPPROXYPORT 80
                  HTTPPROXYUSER
                  HTTPPROXYPASSWORD
                  FTPPROXYMODE 0
                  FTPPROXYADDRESS
                  FTPPROXYPORT 21
                  FTPPROXYUSER
                  FTPPROXYPASSWORD
                  SCRIPTID 1
                  SCRIPTEXT .pl
                  SMTPHOST smtp.fasthosts.co.uk
                  WEBSITEURL http://actinic.cp4.net/
                  IGNOREPASSIVEERRORS true
                  USERELATIVECGIURLS false
                  PATHTOPERL /usr/bin/perl
                  CATALOGURL http://actinic.cp4.net/acatalog/
                  CGIBINURL http://actinic.cp4.net/cgi-bin/
                  PATHFROMCGITOCATALOG ../acatalog/
                  CODEBASE ./
                  FTPHOST ftp.actinic.cp4.net
                  FTPUSERNAME actinic.cp4.net
                  FTPPASSWORD optics
                  PATHTOCGIBIN /htdocs/cgi-bin/
                  USEPASSIVEFTP false
                  FTPPATHFROMCGITOCATALOG ../acatalog/

I Have found the following which may be of some help:

index.html, info.html, info_1.html, info_100.html-info_127.html are all outside of the root directory (htdocs/); The rest are in the actalog folder (htdocs/acatalog/): The cgi-bin holds pm & pl scripts.

The same kind of thing happens on the other server.

Comment

update Re: last post

Ok deleted files outside of the root: on website refresh the space outside of the web root now shows .cat files and image files and also a different range of html files. cgi-bin errors have become more frequent. (testing the setting is always ok)

Comment

Ok. You didn't quite answer my question about the directory structure.

Is your cgi-bin directory in the htdocs directory or is it separate under the root directory?

Mike

Comment

Sorry mike, under htdocs ie htdocs/cgi-bin.

I have also a web site log @ http://actinic.cp4.net/se.txt incase this is more informative

Comment

It's very weird. Your settings and permissions look right and as you say the problem seems to be intermttent.

It looks as if there might be a problem with your database. My only suggestions for that are:

1. Compact the database in the hope that it might fix a rogue entry somewhere.

2. Get actinic support to take a look. They should be able to look at your snapshot and find the problem.

Mike

Comment

thanks Mike, Ill do that, i am generly ok with thinkg like this, but it is just so weird, ill post my findings.

Comment

Hi there

If you are having issue, then i would take Mike advise

2. Get actinic support to take a look. They should be able to look at your snapshot and find the problem.
                              Just register yourself with the email support to find out why this is happening. The address for email support is: http://www.actinic.co.uk/support/register.htm

Kind Regards
                              Nadeem Rasool
                              SellerDeck Development

Comment

Working...
                              X