X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Script Error Again - URGENT

Chris

We are having a nightmare with a general script error:
    Error: Error opening ../acatalog/217Z46Z161Z215A1041805415B2824.session (No space left on device)

We are losing multiple orders every day this has been going on. You said in a previous thread that we should ask our host to increase the memory it allows for perl processes to say 12mg.

Our host tells us that they have done everything possible to help, as other Actinic users have reported the same problem to them.

Can i ask you to contact, Michael, majk@hostway-uk.com at Hostway (UK) and try to resolve this issue. I have spoken to him and he would very much like you to make contact so they can resolve this problem asap.

I hope you can help as soon as possible.

Many thanks

Mike
    www.thefreemason.com
    www.thefreemason.com - the internet portal for freemasonry

Mike

I am unable to help you out here as I know very little about these kinds of problems on web servers.

I have checked my records and I can see you have not got Actinic Cover so I have registered a email support query on your behalf at http://www.actinic.co.uk/support/register.htm

The email support team should be in contact soon with some further details.

Comment

Mike

This may seems obvious but why don't you just switch hosts??
      Owner of a broken heart

Comment

........because they are excellent !........and we've found most others abosutley crap.

Comment

they can't be that good, if they can't help you with your error!!

Comment

I second that
            Owner of a broken heart

Comment

Talking of switching hosts - will search engine listings etc all be lost if you switch hosts or will they find their way over to the new site somehow?

Regards,
              Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
              Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
              A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
              Product Mash for Sellerdeck
              Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
              Multichannel order processing
              Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

I have switched hosts before and you just need to make sure you have a good 404 page as the links on the site should all be the same so the search engines don't see any difference
                Owner of a broken heart

Comment

switching hosts makes no different to search engine listing, SEs capture URLs.

so as long as your URL doesn't change your listing won't

Comment

Thanks chaps.

Regards,
                    Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
                    Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
                    A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
                    Product Mash for Sellerdeck
                    Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
                    Multichannel order processing
                    Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

ok............i'll rephrase

Most of the host providers WE have used (we use multiple now for various reasons) are pretty poor at what they do.....they say they are the best, until you actually experience them.

Hostway are the best WE use and have used. Put it in that context and i still say that most are crap.

If you have a small site, changing is easy. Our sites are not small or simple to change.

Hope that helps

mike
                      ps........dont forget that it is an actinic error being shown to our customers...repeat !actinic error !

Comment

ISP's can be a pain

You do have to be careful with ISP selection.

Im currently with U-net, ive had a few server downtimes, and once where they removed my server for 48 hours, and claimed there was nothing wrong with it (even when support said there was).

Generally they are ok, except there ability to never increase or improve their services (25mb space - two years been like that - while everyone else is giving away about 50-100+).

But as i say they have been reliable for quite a time now.

The other host that i have is www.oneandone.co.uk. Excellant service and rarely (if any) problems... just 1 issue. 9-5 Support only.

Jason
                        www.castlesoftware.co.uk
                        www.madword.com

Comment

Mike,

Did you ever get your script error fixed?

I was hoping to use Hostway as my web host with Actinic and saw this posting.

Are you using the Unix or Windows package?

Thanks,
                          Toby

Comment

Hi Toby

The following is the typical detailed response from Hostway UK, and then people wonder why i always sing their praises.........it does seem however, that the problem is more to do with Actinic than Hostway UK...........

The error has been no problem of late, and i wonder if the recent Actinic upgrades have helped......anyhow, here is the response from Hostway UK......

"There are only a couple of reasons why you are prevented from moving through the checkout process:-

o the server disk is out of space (very rare, as it has to bypass
                            monitoring by the hosting company, can happen in DOS attacks).

o the script operating memory limit is too low to allow all of the
                            processing required.

The requirement for memory in truth, is not the script itself, but all
                            the runtime environment. In other words the operating memory allowed, includes the memory required by Perl and Perl modules.
                            Otherwise the script itself requires approximately 1Mb with all the
                            Actinic modules and loaded data structures.

The actual memory requirement depends on several things. The main influencing factors are:

- the Perl version on the server
                            - catalog version (script size)
                            - catalog configuration
                            o customer accounts
                            o payment methods
                            o etc

There is a way to decrease the amount of memory used, and that is by installing a couple of modules on the server, one Perl and one Actinic specific.

The Actinic module is called ActEncrypt1024.
                            Installation of ActEncrypt1024 significantly decreases the CPU load of the server and the memory needs are also decreased a bit. This is down to the replacement of the standard pure Perl order encryption to a (faster and smaller) binary package.

The other is called mod_perl and is a standard apache module. This can be downloaded from http://perl.apache.org/

The mod_perl module is an apache module which keeps perl in the memory while the server is running. If this module is installed on the server then the runtime environment shouldn't be loaded all the time. In other words, the script memory requirement excludes the runtime environment.

Unluckily these modules should be installed on the server, therefore only the server operator can do this.

One of our partners did some investigation and they figured out that without the added modules, Catalog works correctly with 16Mb memory."

...........so there you have it !

Regards

Mike

Comment

Sorry for asking the obvious question but have your ISP checked if there is any space left on the drive? I'm not sure it is a permanent problem or just appeared recently but if the latter then most likely there is some problem with the server. I would suggest to check the disk quota and the free space on the drive.

Regards,
                              Zoltan
                              Actinic Software
                              www.actinic.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X