SMTP Authentication turned on in Client

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMTP Authentication turned on in Client

I'm struggling with Email problems.....It would appear that authenticated mail is being sent out and rejected by my ISP "returned from SMTP server (4: Authentication turned on in your email client."

They say the problem is on my side...I don't know how to turn it off in Actinic ?

I'm running the latest 6.1.5.0000 version

I can send mail to my other accounts on the same server, so I know the config / server set-up must be OK. It's casing a big pain..any easy solution ?
    Thanks

Anthony Kudzin

There is no email authentication in V6, only in V7. It sounds as if they require email authentication which V6 doesn't have (which is why they'll accept email to your own accounts, just not any to external addresses).

can you copy and paste the full error message you get and what happens when you test your network settings?

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Thanks for the v.prompt reply. I've attached the error message. On the host site Mail server there is a warning note to say ' ensure mail authentication is on'. Obviously I have no problems sending / receiving with Outlook / express etc.

However the error message reply back when sending from Actinic is " Code 4: Authentication turned on in your Email Client".....if you say you send only unauthenticated mail from V6...then it now makes sense to me. The Mail CLient is at the ISP and not on my machine......

So I guess my options are...given I need to send mail in/out

- Use the workaround (whatever it is) you have given to others
      - Ask my ISP is they can switch authication off for me (is this a real option ?)
      - upgrade to V7 and set the flag to on ?

Also I'm not that Techie...why I bough the Product in the first place !...so I hope its a simple solution !!
      Attached Files
      Thanks

Anthony Kudzin

Comment

the error message is exactly what I get when using V6 with a site that requires authenticated smtp.

You can try using norman's fix. I used it sucessfully for quite a while, but it does require some code changes and your web host must have mail::mailer installed.

On one of my sites I have the same problem but didn't bother to do anything. It's a very quiet site anyway so I just copy the email text and send it out via outlook until I do the V7 upgrade.

I'm just waiting for V7 to sort itself out before upgrading.

Mike

PS. Try using 'localhost' as the smtp server name. This will often work.

Comment

My ISP cannot turn off authentication as it applies to his whole mail server. I don't think this mailer:: mailer thing is installed (he's going to check)

what can i do then to send messages to Customers, except cut and paste into IE6 etc !
          Thanks

Anthony Kudzin

Comment

Your host should only need to have smtp authentiaction turned on for external access. Local access using 'localhost' or similar shouldn't be a problem for him.

Mike

Comment

Re: Update from ISP

All this stuff is getting out of my league......mailer::mailer is not installed. They said they use mailman ?

They said they cannot turn off Authentication and presumably it is external authentication they require/want (?) and not internal authentication (if such a concept exists). They said to turn it off it has to be for the whole server.

So this leaves me with an Host who wants authenticated mail and software that cannot supply it.....and ideas (without spending a shed load on an upgrade )...and I don't want to cut and paste into Outlook express everytime I need to send a mail.....
              Thanks

Anthony Kudzin

Comment

Ask if they have sendmail - if so it should be possible to adapt my Mail::Mailer patch to use that.
                Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Re: EMail authentication...still an issue

I applied the code changes prescribed by Norman. I'm not a Programming expect, but I was able to follow all the steps and it all made sense. I then re-uploaded the new file.

I know the upload happened as I can how send mail without the error message appearing at the same point...but alas the mail never arrives !

If I log into the mail server itself and my account there, thereis no sign of the mail....it has just disappeared into 'thin air' despite being marked 'sent' by the Actinic Mail handler.

I can understand my Hosts' viewpoint about authentication...again I raise the point we should not be expected to apply patches ourselves to code. They should either be treated as 'bug fixes' or free upgrades.

I've spent far too much time (not to mention money) on what should be a straight forward press of the button.

At the moment I'm using outlook express to send/receive mail from my POP3 mail acos...how long before I copt the wrong mails to the wrong Customers !
                  Thanks

Anthony Kudzin

Comment

If I log into the mail server itself and my account there, thereis no sign of the mail....
                    Actinic doesn't ever make use of your e-mail account. It sends email directly out using the SMTP server of your ISP.

This is part of the standard specification of Actinic 6. It requires your ISP to provide an unathenticated SMTP server.

again I raise the point we should not be expected to apply patches ourselves to code. They should either be treated as 'bug fixes' or free upgrades.
                    I guess here the problem is that in the past Actinic worked as expected and then your ISP decided to move to authenticated SMTP (often, as I've seen before, without telling its customers). If this is the case then, unfortunately, it's really your ISP that moved the goalposts.

Alternatively, if your email has never worked for you then it may be because you chose to use an ISP that wasn't compatible with Actinic.

Now, in V7, Actinic has added a new feature in that it support authenticated SMTP. So if my Mail::Mailer patch doesn't work it may be your only solution.

It's not fair to expect Actinic to solve this problem for you as V6 was never intended to work with ISP's that only support authenticated SMTP.

Comment

Apparently Easyspace require SMTP Auth. or so they say. But Actinic 6.1.5 seems not to have a problem of any sort even though authentication is required by easyspace.
                      Ive asked them about this and they told me the mail server does require auth. Go figure.

Oh and Ive not applied the fix, weird eh?

Comment

This is probably because they need authentication for access to their SMTP servers from anywhere outside their organisation. I.e you at home dialled in somehow.

Think of Authentication as a ticket to get you in to an event.

Now Actinic is generating the email from a script running on one of their servers inside Easyspace, so the authentication (ticket) isn't needed as you're already (permenantly residing) in there.

BTW Users of the very popular OneAndOne have the same experience.

Comment

Originally posted by NormanRouxel
                          That saves me posting a question, as we have just moved over to 1&1 and have hit the same snag.

I did try the eval of v7.0 out as well, but that appeared not to work either, very strange....

Comment

On 1&1 Linux / Business I just use auth.smtp.oneandone.co.uk but don't need the username or password.

There are many variations of server provided by 1&1 so your mileage may vary.

Of course there's nothing to stop you using a valid username / password.

Comment

Originally posted by NormanRouxel
                              This is probably because they need authentication for access to their SMTP servers from anywhere outside their organisation. I.e you at home dialled in somehow.

Think of Authentication as a ticket to get you in to an event.

Now Actinic is generating the email from a script running on one of their servers inside Easyspace, so the authentication (ticket) isn't needed as you're already (permenantly residing) in there.

you would think that, but it didnt work for days. I got onto easyspace support (yes, I know its hard to believe, but they replied extremely fast) they said ANY emails routed through their SMTP needed auth. The next day it was working.
                              I asked them again saying that it was working, they had no idea why, but hey. I wasnt complaining.
                              Last edited by rodmc; 08-Dec-2004, 10:08 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                              X