Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading OS

Hi all

Due to recent meltdowns and other nightmares, we're having to replace our relatively new PC.

Using Act Cat v6 - do not want to upgrade the OS from Win 98 SE but have a feeling that I might have to.

At the moment I'm running on a cobbled together system which at least allows me to download orders until my new "next day delivery" PC arrives in 2 weeks (no OS pre-installed).

Question: best OS to install and will it screw up my current version of Actinic - obviously current OS is FAT32 and concerned about upgrading system to the newer stuff (i.e Win XPerimental).

Actinic, which despite my worst fears during the current nightmares has behaved admirably - I've bunged it on an ancient PC and imported an old snapshot just to keep orders coming in.

Hope that makes sense - and hope somebody can advise!

TIA - Helen

Get XP pro and never look back, it support FAT32 and NTFS but I'd recommend converting to NTFS for security and stability reasons. XP will convert the file system to NTFS for you on the fly without having to format your disk.
    Im not kidding you when i say i havent seen the blue screen of death for a few years now (apart from Win9x Machines).

Comment

Hello Helen,

Yes I feel that XP Pro is better than 98 as well. MS certainly seem to have sorted out the stability problem. No crashes either.

The only bug bear is that it's a bit of a pain when using preview in Actinic. At least if using SP2. You have to keep clicking "Allow content" at the top of the screen each time. You get used to it though.

I'm sure you'll like it better.

Myles Sinclair
      www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

yup, has to XP pro

sometimes you just have to keep up with the times

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook
          yup, has to XP pro

sometimes you just have to keep up with the times
          running in windows classic mode and with a firefox browser - even better
          http://www.alternativefocusmedia.com
          Web services to the UNFCCC, Arts Council, SME and Retail. Web Marketing and SEO / SEM Services
          TEL: +44 (0)1636 706222

Comment

Originally posted by altfocmed
            running in windows classic mode and with a firefox browser - even better
            Firefox is a hell of a lot better than IE, i personally like the tabs extension, very useful.

Comment

firefox does it for me to!!

Comment

Thanks everybody for feedback.

Now have Act on a laptop running on XP home edition pending delivery of new box. Have imported up to date site data and all is well with the world.

Currently looking into XP Pro for new box and firefox browser so thanks to all for pointing me in the right direction.

Regards - Helen

Comment

Working...
                X