Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shipping Charges for Non UK

Hi All

We do free delivery to the UK, however we get quite a few orders from abroad, the problem is that they all weight different amounts. Is it possible to get it so as soon as they click that they are from somewhere not in the UK, it brings up a message asking them to e-mail us... Is this possible?

Regards

Russell
    Remember; The Arc was built by amateurs but the Titanic was built by professionals.
    When did I realise I was god? I was praying and realised I was talking to myself.

any ideas.
    Remember; The Arc was built by amateurs but the Titanic was built by professionals.
    When did I realise I was god? I was praying and realised I was talking to myself.

Comment

I'm sure it could be done in javascript, but if you really want to do this why not just have the UK shipping option live and a button that says 'overseas customer click here' beside it.

I really wouldn't think this is a good idea though. If customers have gone to the hassle of selecting products, negotiating through checkout, etc that the last thing they want to do is send an email. They just want to place the order. Why not have an overseas shipping option based on weight?

Mike
      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by olderscot
        Why not have an overseas shipping option based on weight?

Mike

The reason we can't do this is because we have a huge range of products about 2000 and 1000 special items (that we don't order often). We will eventually do the weighing but it is alot of work for the few orders we get.

Comment

Russell,

We simply have a note on our "ordering information" page that states that overseas customers will be contacted after the order is placed to confirm what the postage will be. It also means that you get a chance to speak to them and may help with potential fraudulent transactions.

Not ideal but it works fine and we have had no complaints about it!

Regards

David
          Cheers

David
          Located in Edinburgh UK

http://twitter.com/mcfinster

Comment

Thats a great idea but to make life harder we use 'Worldpay' so it takes the money first.. At present we use a system that they place the order then we get in contact with them and ask them to go to a page with the delivery chargers on (created as products) then to order which ever one it is say £4.00 and thats worked but its not great.

Comment

Fair point, we use a PDQ so it is much easier for us. Personally I think i would just set a single charge for overseas orders, say £15.00 for postage. Then monitor it for a month or so and hopefully any orders you lose carriage on should be covered by the ones you make money on. In fact I would probably be happy to lose a little money if it meant not having to weigh 2000 + products!

Dave
              Cheers

David
              Located in Edinburgh UK

http://twitter.com/mcfinster

Comment

Thats a good point the problem is that the MD wouldn't see it like that. He doesn't have to weight the products so he doesn't worry about that. We'll probably set a one off charge.

Comment

Working...
                X