Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrade from Catalog 6 to Business 7 - advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade from Catalog 6 to Business 7 - advice?

Hi all -
    Has anyone had experience of upgrading from Catalog v6 to Business v7? I run a site that is considering the upgrade. Perhaps I'm being over-cautious but there seems to be a lot that may go wrong with an upgrade of this nature. Anyone got experience of this?

Thanks in advance,
    Dave

(www.attacc.com)

My advice: Wait for 7.0.3 due in early January (I think).

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

I would agree - there are a number of small annoying "features" in 7.02 that you don't want....
      Web Design & Ecommerce - Affordable Web Hosting
      Free and low cost Merchant Accounts coming soon..
      NOD32 Antivirus - Reciprocal Links for Actinic Sites ONLY

Comment

I am in the process of upgrading from v6 to v7.0.2. It is pretty straight forward if your site is using out of the box templates.

If you have modified the perl scripts, templates, style sheets etc, etc. then it can be quite time consuming to build in all the changes.

I also agree with the other guys - there are some nasty bugs in v7.0.2 - especially if you make extensive use of CUSTOMVARS (see other threads on this site). I will not be able to go live until these patches are released early in January.
        Regards
        David

Comment

Thanks for the advice, guys.

I have indeed modified not only some of the scripts but also some of the GIFs, so just upgrading Catalog would worry me, let alone moving up to Business. I'll advise my client to hang fire till Feb.... and I'll lurk around here too in the hope of picking up any other good advice....

Cheers - and Season's Greetings,
          Dave

Comment

Dave,

We upgraded from Catalog v6 to Business v7 - importing our v6 snapshot - and all went very smoothly as long as you remember what you changed (bookmarking relevant pages on the community highly recommended).

I made all the amendments then uploaded to my personal domain to check everything for a couple of days before changing the live site, all went well and the updating of the v6 site probably took no more than a day in all. The good thing about upgrading to a completely new version is you can run them side to side until you are happy.

Having said all that is there is no major need for the upgrade then I too would wait till v7.03.

Dave
            Cheers

David
            Located in Edinburgh UK

http://twitter.com/mcfinster

Comment

Working...
            X