Meta tag sections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meta tag sections

I am trying to figure this out by myself..there are the two sections meta description and meta keywords..so the description is what comes up when people search and the keywords is what the search engine looks at..have I got this right??? (eg keywords, petbowls, ceramic, handpainted. Description a range of handpainted ceramic petbowls)
    Then in the design/options/sections tag there is a check box for include keywords from parent sections could someone please explain what this is all about in plain english as I am none the wiser after looking at the user guides!!!
    TIA
    Carolyn Walker
    Back up and running thanks to help from Actinic community!!
    http://www.pinkcatgifts.co.uk

if you say yes to use words from parent, then all keywords placed in the top level section will be passed through and also added to the lower sections.

I don't think thisis a good idea because one of the rules of keywords is to only have keywords in the meta tag which actually appear in the body text.

Having said that I'm not sure which search engines even take any notice of meta keywords

Google doesn't (and thats the only engine I really care about)

description is what comes up when people search and the keywords is what the search engine looks
    sometimes thisis the case, but for Google it isn't. Google ignores keywords.It finds its own description from the body text, by using the words wrapped around the keyword used for the search

Comment

Thanks Jo
      In an effort to make the site more search engine visible I have taken the frames off and the domain fowarding masking, does this mean that the bots will see it as several pages instead of one??(it is still coming up in frames on some sections but I presume this is my browser!) I dont like it out of frames because it looks like a typical home made actinic site again! so I am keen to know if this was the right move.
      sorry to keep coming up with silly questions but I havent been able to get hold of my website company for weeks
      Carolyn
      The address is www.pink-cat.co.uk
      Back up and running thanks to help from Actinic community!!
      http://www.pinkcatgifts.co.uk

Comment

Frames are one of those debatable things....you can get framed sites listed, but some people feel that you put yourself at a disadvantage.

One issue with frames is that if to get a product page indexed it will dispay without the frame.......unless you add frame busting scripts................which then means you will show the frameset (ie the index page) to the visitor instead of the actual page they found. This means your visitor has to search your site again to find the product they want.

FrameBusting script

<script language="JavaScript">
        <!--
        if (top == self) self.location.href = "index.htm";
        // -->

A better way of getting your site not to be out of the box actinic is to apply better design skills....take a look at Safe Options

For this site I heavily modified ACT_PRIMARY , to get the nav buttons on everypage but without being in frames.

Now do a search on the word "safes" in google UK and see its position!

Comment

Working...
        X