Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeola & SMTP Settings

Hi,

I am a new user of Actinic Catalog and I'm having trouble with the SMTP feature. I'm hosting on Freeola, and I can not use their smtp server unless dialled in, even from their own servers it seems.

The smtp address I'm using is smtp.freeola.net

I have tried using the sendmail fix available elsewhere on this forum, but get an error when trying to update the site. I'm not sure Freeola supports the Mail::Mailer module.

It's a shame, as everything else they provide seems to be excellent, especially for a free hosting company.

So, I would really appreciate it if anybody else can help me out there. Has anybody got this working on Freeola ?

Many thanks

Jonathan (jellis2000)

Have you tried using 'localhost' ?

That will often work when nothing else will.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's resolving the server name ok - seems to find the server no problem, just wont authenticate me. Freeola support say it is because they do not allow it, even from their own server, unless dialled in. To prevent hackers apparently.

Comment

If they deliberately disable it then there's unlikely to be a workaround.

There are plenty of web hosting companies around that will work. I can't say I know of any free ones though.

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Hmmm. I think you're right. The only option may be to move my domain. I'll keep trying for a bit though so if anybody does know of a way around this I'd love to hear from you.

Comment

Re: Freeola & SMTP settings

I have indeed managed to set this up successfully on Freeola.

In the "Email Settings" section, I just put in localhost with no username or password.

I am connected via Freeola Broadband if that helps any.

Give me a shout if you want to discuss further!

Comment

Thanks to you both - seems olderscott was right in the first place, and cpfusion confirmed it also. I used 'localhost' with no authentication and it works....almost.

It's fine for anything that comes from an email address originating in Freeola's domain - so, for order receipts and order notification emails it works fine, because that originates from a Freeola email address (the email I state in Actinic).

But there is a problem when using the 'Contact Us' page - because the mail is sent using the customers email address for the senders address, it doesn't get through. They recieve a receipt for their mail, sent from the freeola mail address, but the mail never gets to me as it is from their own address. Does that make sense ?

Anyway, cpfusion, do you have a similar experience or does the Contact Us page work ok for you? If so perhaps we could compare setup notes ??

Thanks again for all replies.

Jonathan.

Comment

I'm going to start another thread for the new problem, as I think it affects several ISPs.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by jellis2000
                  But there is a problem when using the 'Contact Us' page - because the mail is sent using the customers email address for the senders address, it doesn't get through. They recieve a receipt for their mail, sent from the freeola mail address, but the mail never gets to me as it is from their own address. Does that make sense ?

Anyway, cpfusion, do you have a similar experience or does the Contact Us page work ok for you? If so perhaps we could compare setup notes ??
                  Jonathan, I tried as you said - using the 'Contact Us' page, and you are correct. The email is never received by the store email address, although the confirmation does come back to the originator. That sucks, I need to look into that too!

If you find a solution, please post it on the forums, as I'm sure others may be encountering similar issues.

Craig (cpfusion)

Comment

I think I can alter the perl script to default the senders address to the store address, to ensure it gets sent, and concatanate the customers email address onto the subject line, so we know who the mail actually originates from.

That's the theory anyway, I'll have a go and let you know if it works.

Cheers,

Jonathan.

Comment

Hi cpfusion - I have a workaround for this problem now.

See my other thread ''Contact Us' form does not work" for the custom perl script.

Rgds

Jonathan.

Comment

Thanks Jonathan, I will check it out and let you know how I get on!

Many thanks for your help and input!

Craig (cpfusion)

Comment

Working...
                        X