Cookie information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cookie information

Could one of the actinic devs comment on what info is held in the cookie when the cart is empty?

The reason i ask is i am now 100% positive my "Error in scrips xxxxxx.pl, the output was null" is cookie releated as clearing the cookie for the site fixes the problem.

What in the cookie is related to the action of adding something to the cart or using any script in general (as contact us, SSL bounce etc also can result in this null output error).

Many Thanks in Advance

**Edit**

Just as a thought, we some times import the site to a different computers to work on the catalog contents, could uploading the site from different computers cause somthing in the cookie not to be valid and result in a similar error?
    The only reason i ask is because if i upload the site from computer1 and then import the snapshot to computer2, even if i only change one word when it comes to uploading i notice it uploads .fil , .pl and every html page again
    Last edited by DBurrows; 26-Jan-2005, 11:12 AM. Reason: Added more info

Hi David,

I will post your questions to the development team and get them to comment on your issue.

Kind Regards
    Nadeem Rasool
    SellerDeck Development

Comment

Hi there

The developers have just come back with some information

The cookie contains the cartID and sum amount of the cart.
      It also contains the last contact data used by the user.
      Between different phase of buying, the cartID is retrieved from the
      cookie.
      If the site is imported from a snapshot, then the cookie could contain
      invalid info. As the file dates in the snapshot will be different from the
      original computer, then the check of file dates will cause the upload of
      those files.
      Kind Regards
      Nadeem Rasool
      SellerDeck Development

Comment

You can take a peek yourself. Just embed this in a (dummy) products description
        Code:
        !!<<script language=JavaScript>document.write(document.cookie);</script>>!!
        Norman - www.drillpine.biz
        Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Thanks for the reply,

So to clarify: visitors who have had a cookie created from computer1's upload could experience problems when returning to the website after it has been uploaded by computer2?

Nice tip Norman - thanks alot!

Comment

Can anyone the confirm the point above?

Comment

Hi David

visitors who have had a cookie created from computer1's upload could experience problems when returning to the website after it has been uploaded by computer2?
              Yes it is possible.

Kind Regards
              Nadeem Rasool
              SellerDeck Development

Comment

Aha, so that's what it is!

I used to upload one of my client's websites from both my desktop machine & my laptop, depending one where I was at the time, keeping the two machines' copies of the site in sync by importing & exporting snapshots.

And I used to get those errors sometimes - something about General Script Error / Output Null - when doing something that called a script, like adding to basket, viewing the basket, etc.

I don't use my laptop for this much any more, & haven't seen that error for ages.

Comment

Working...
                X