No announcement yet.

changing web hosting server via actinic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not working, same error message as before, not recieved any mail from you though.

sorry... anymore ideas anyone?
    Thanks for all help everyone!!

www.decorativextras.com

Comment

i just went to check in my folders on the file manager, there are 2 acatalog folers, one with a permission 777 and 755.... do i need to delete one?

www.decorativextras.com

Comment

yes you only need one which should be set to 777. I surpsrised it didnt work for it wet through all the tests fine on my pc with the infi I mailed you..

Comment

i didnt get a mail from you, do you think you can resend it? i hope you are right, if so then thanks so so much.....

regards

Anil

www.decorativextras.com

Comment

I would help if you posted your network settings here. (without user passwords etc)

Comment

HI there.. just on lunch - MSN upgraded last night and there systems appear to be going weird!
              I tried again this morning with no luck -something has changed with your isp?
              I hope you get my email this time!
              My email earlier said:

I tried again today and I am hitting the
              same problems as you. Interestingly I tried to put one of my pages on your
              site and navigate to it - and got the page not found error - now it is
              there! this sounds like an isp issue - If I can't even browse a file then
              actinic will most certainly hit problems! Phone your isp and ask them why
              you can't see html pages...

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook
                I would help if you posted your network settings here. (without user passwords etc)
                hi there,

beolw are settings that i am using, please let me know if everything looks fine or if somewthing is different than it shoul be:

cgi-bin url = http://www.decorativextras.com/cgi-bin/

cobebase = ./

server host = 65.98.55.242 (my ip address from the welcome letter)

path to dgi bin = /cgi-bin/

path from cgi bin to actinic = ../acatalog/

cgi script id number = 4

extension = .pl

website url = http://www.decorativextras.com/

path to the pearl shell = /usr/bin/perl

when i use the wizard in the avanced network settiongs tab, the following deatils are entered:

host name: 65.98.55.242 provided by isp as my ip address
                username / password = as advised

next screen asks:

website address as it appears on web = http://www.decorativextras.com/

next screen:

cgi bin directory is = /public_html/cgi-bin/

web root directory = /public_html/

when i press next it says no responce

the folder structure and persmissions of the server space are:

.neomail 700
                .trash 700
                etc 755
                mail 750
                public_ftp 755
                public_html 777
                tmp 700
                www 777
                .contactemail 0 k 600
                .lastlogin 0 k 600

in the public_html folder the structure and permissions are

acatalog 777
                cgi-bin 777
                .htaccess 0 k 644

/ public_html / (Current Folder)

Upload file(s)
                Up one level
                acatalog 777
                cgi-bin 777

and folders exist

please let me know if there is anything odd or something that stands out as odd.

please also note that the website is still being hosted by my previous hosting company and that i haver not changedf any registrations of web address or anything at all. the first thing i have tried to do is to get the web over to you via actinic.

plesae let me know if you need any more settings

www.decorativextras.com

Comment

Originally posted by kgeals
                  HI there.. just on lunch - MSN upgraded last night and there systems appear to be going weird!
                  I tried again this morning with no luck -something has changed with your isp?
                  I hope you get my email this time!
                  My email earlier said:

I tried again today and I am hitting the
                  same problems as you. Interestingly I tried to put one of my pages on your
                  site and navigate to it - and got the page not found error - now it is
                  there! this sounds like an isp issue - If I can't even browse a file then
                  actinic will most certainly hit problems! Phone your isp and ask them why
                  you can't see html pages...
                  i forwarded this to the host they replied:

This is not us. You are probably uoploading incorrectly.
                  All accounts on that server can view html.

But we are not your ISP... you need to call them. We are the HOST. Your problems have to do with what your borwser is viewing.

www.decorativextras.com

Comment

Thats complete rubbish - what they saying any files held by them (the host) that can't be viewed is the responsibility of the ISP? Ask them why you can't access the sitemap.html page! Its held on there servers!

Comment

Originally posted by kgeals
                      Thats complete rubbish - what they saying any files held by them (the host) that can't be viewed is the responsibility of the ISP? Ask them why you can't access the sitemap.html page! Its held on there servers!
                      Actually what the host is saying here is quite true. The pages are on their servers, but they have no control over the route some people will take to travel from their PC to reach the server. There are all sorts of pitfalls, broken routers, duff DNS caches etc etc on the way.

It happens often that one person can view a page on the net at the same time as someone else cannot - often the cause is down to the ISP they are dialled up with.

Comment

please also note that the website is still being hosted by my previous hosting company and that i haver not changedf any registrations of web address or anything at all. the first thing i have tried to do is to get the web over to you via actinic.
                        this is probably why your network settings test doesn't work.

You can use the IP to force the upload to an IP address, but the network test will be looking at the URLs for acatalog and cgi-bin.

You really need to more the DNS over to the new server before anything will work.

Comment

hi there greg,

i have made some sucess at last, i have moved over the website registration and am doing the transfer like this, the only problem is that the web will be offline till i get this sorted, so would appreciate if you got back to me fast, The wizard is asking me the question below:

The wizard needs to know where Perl is installed on the web server and what extension Perl scripts must have in order to execute on the remote server. You may need to contact your ISP to gather this information. Be sure to specify the "." on the extension if it is required. For example, ".cgi", or ".pl".

it then say: path to pearl and lets me type in "/usr/bin/perl" as default.

then asks the pear script extension, and gives me ".pl" as default.

what do i need to do?

do i need to create the folders as it asks? or is this infoirmation you need to give me?

thanks for your help.

Anil

do i need to make these folders in my file structure? if so where do i make them? in the root directory or in the puiblic_html folder?

www.decorativextras.com

Comment

hi there all

this is the furthest i have ever got, so please help me now if you can, as soon as i press next, it says:

'the pearl path appears to be incorrect, check the path and try again'

so u are sure that the path is:

/usr/bin/perl

and the pearl script extension is

.pl

please help me on this one,

Anil

www.decorativextras.com

Comment

i sent this quiery to my host and they relpied:

"It is always...

/usr/bin/perl

This also shows on the first page of your cPanel

This is industry-standard. Almost all Unix servers have the same path to Perl.

.pl is an acceptable extension. It depends on what sripts you upload. Sometimes they are .cgi Both are accepatbale on our servers."

i tried to change .pl for .cgi and it gives same responce.

what could it mean if it says that the path is not found? could u suggest anything other than to contact support for actinic?

www.decorativextras.com

Comment

I've just looked at your DNS servers

Domain servers in listed order:
                                NS1.TEKNONHOSTING.COM 65.98.55.242
                                NS2.TEKNONHOSTING.COM 65.98.55.243

is this the old server or the new one?

I suspect you are still having problems because the DNS hasn't propagated yet. for a com domain this can take 24-72 hours.

Comment

Working...
                                X