X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web Hosting and Search Engines

Hi,

Two questions, really -

1. We are with Claranet at the moment, and wondered if it makes any difference who is hosting the website as far as the search engines go.

2. If not, we are having difficulty in getting a relatively new site to be seen by Google - we are now paying for CPC (haven't tried any other avenues yet) I know our area is very competitive, but I wondered if you could give me any ideas here. We have tried SEO, but maybe missing something obvious. Constructive criticism VERY welcome - thanks

Many thanks for ANY ideas, even pulling the thing to bits may be helpful??

http://www.a1cartridges.co.uk

June

it is theoretically possible for your host to impact your business - especially on a shared IP address.

If you find yourself on the same IP as a serial search engine abuser, it's possible that the search engine will simply ban all domains on a single IP, rather than wait to find out which new domain the abuser just bought and appears to be attempting to subvert the results from today.

We have ALWAYS recommended business sites get a dedicated IP address as an insurance against such problems - no matter how slim the chances, can your business afford to be exposed for such a piddly amount as charged for a dedicated IP.

Of course, if you have your own SSL certificate, you already have a dedicated IP - and this is a moot point. If you rely on your payment provider's SSL, you might look at this as an option though.

Google is taking A LOT LONGER to list new sites we have noticed. I have trouble finding NOD32USA.COM and we launched it in late November - early December. Last year, we were getting great results in only a few weeks. I know the site is listed in google - but we've achieved single word search position #2 already in the new MSN - google results are taking a LOT longer to acheive lately.

That said - I'm not worried, as I know when we appear on the first page or two - I'll have up #1, #2, or #3 within a couple of weeks - a month at the outside!

hth

Greg Hewitt-Long
    Web Design & Ecommerce - Affordable Web Hosting
    Free and low cost Merchant Accounts coming soon..
    NOD32 Antivirus - Reciprocal Links for Actinic Sites ONLY

Comment

is this for the site http://www.a1cartridges.co.uk/ ?

I see you have a google PR in the google toolbar - you are indexed.

43 listed back-links - not enough from high enough sources for serious Google results in such a competitive field as yours... I would concentrate on getting listings in directories for the next month or so... try http://www.we-have-it.com/mall - we'll list you being an actinic site.... ignore the internal server error after link submission - I broke a script and haven't restored my backup yet !
      Web Design & Ecommerce - Affordable Web Hosting
      Free and low cost Merchant Accounts coming soon..
      NOD32 Antivirus - Reciprocal Links for Actinic Sites ONLY

Comment

Hi,

Sorry I should have responded sooner. Thanks very much for your advice, which I am following...

Regards

June

Comment

Working...
        X