Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Section for each product

Hi there

we've successfully deployed sites using the 'section for each product' method, which allows one product per page.

Now, our problem is, we have a lot of products input (over 1500) and would like to do some database manipulation to create automate most of this.

Does anyone know how to make this job of creating a section for each product easier?

regards Garry

Hi there Garry,

A way around this would be to use a flat file import. Please find attached on this thread a sample csv file with you can import. I have a main section called "Films" then two subsection, "Test 1 Product" and "Test 2 Product". Each with their own section.

Kind Regards
    Attached Files
    Nadeem Rasool
    SellerDeck Development

Comment

He shoots, he scores

Ok so I awoke at lord knows when this morning with a genius idea and it seemed to have worked, though it is a compromise in site structure that needs some fiddling with, but it does get a section for each product.

To do this firstly, export your catalog (not snapshot), open this in Excel and strip out everything except the products, this can be done by sorting the first column and deleting all rows that don't have 'product' in that 1st column. Now copy the product name column and (right click) 'Insert copied cells'. Insert a new row at the top of spreadsheet, this will be the column names which you'll reference in the import back into Actinic. Name the columns in this row something like 'REF' 'SHORT DESCRIPTION' 'LONG DESCRIPTION' 'IMAGE' 'PRICE' etc remembering to name the copied column 'SECRTIONS'. This should then be imported back into Actinic relating relevant columns to relevant Actinic items by dragging them about.

Hey presto a section for each product. A bit fiddly but when over 2000 products are involved admitedly, but easier than doing it by hand.

Regards Garry

PS sorry if my explanations not very clear, but hopefully you get the gist

Comment

Oooh

Thanks Nadeem, it took me so long to type my own reply, you'd already replied. I'll have a look at your solution, I'm sure it'll be better than mine.

Regards Garry

Comment

Hi Garry,

We have got the same idea , thanks for elaborating on your idea, this is useful so when some member search on the community they will get a better understanding due to your post

Kind Regards
          Nadeem Rasool
          SellerDeck Development

Comment

Originally posted by Nadeem
            Hi there Garry,

A way around this would be to use a flat file import. Please find attached on this thread a sample csv file with you can import. I have a main section called "Films" then two subsection, "Test 1 Product" and "Test 2 Product". Each with their own section.

Kind Regards
            Hi Nadeem

I tried to open your zip file but it seems to be corrupted. Would you please forward it to my email address.

I'm currently working on a VB application that compiles all set of data for our printed catalogue as well as for our Website. That data is then sent to SQL Server and stored in a specific database table.

So far it works quite well, except the fact that when it is linked to Actinic, all products will be unallocated. As we've got a high number of products it is a pain to place them in their related Section/Subsection.

I would appreciate some help on what I should do to get all products imported into Actinic and having them automatically placed on their related section/subsection.

Thanks a lot for your support,

Rogerio
            Counterpoint Mtc Ltd.
            rogerio@counterpoint-mtc.co.uk

Comment

Hi,

If you take a look on your PC in C:\Program Files\Actinic v7\Sites\Site1\Common you will see a file named SampleFlatImportFile.csv, Open this and you should see the basic layout of how you can import your products into Sections and Sub sections.

Kind regards,
              Bruce King
              SellerDeck

Comment

Working...
              X