Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to connect to the FTP server

Hi

I have uploaded hundreds of times before - and not made any major changes this morning but now cant upload - when I hit the upload button - Actinic runs through the Check and Send files until "Checking Search Indices" or "Reviewing files" and the following message pops up.

Unable to connect to the FTP server "ftp.kjbeckett.com". The connection with the server was reset

I can manually FTP to my server no problems. So I rebooted, compacted database etc.

After that - the problem seemed to be solved and Check and Send files got past "Checking Search Indices" or "Reviewing files" - but then during the purging files stage it got to A000601.cat - and stoped (then Not Responding).

When I try to upload again the orginal problem occurs: Unable to connect to the FTP server "ftp.kjbeckett.com". The connection with the server was reset

Any ideas would be appreciated!
    KJ Beckett
    Men's Clothing & Accessories
    Cufflinks, Underwear, Ties, Grooming Products
    Bath, England
    Fast delivery to UK, USA and worldwide.
    Men's Fashion Blog

Okay - I have seemed to resolve it.

Not sure if this is it but - I went into network settings and retyped my ftp password. Alhtough there was no reason to think this had changed - I certainly didn't do anything to change it.

Anyway - it worked????

Just posting this message incase anyone else has the same problem.
    KJ Beckett
    Bath, England
    Men's Fashion Blog

Comment

Originally posted by paulbeckett
      I certainly didn't do anything to change it. Anyway - it worked????
      Don't you just love computers

Bikster
      SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Hi

Upload, my old friend "Unable to connect to the FTP server "ftp.kjbeckett.com". The connection with the server was reset" is back.

As discussed, yesterday I managed to get round this by doing the following - compacting databases, rebooting and for some reason - retyping my ftp password in network settings. (I had not changed my password at any point prior to the problem arising).

THis "workaround" seems to of stopped and now I am unable to upload.

I dont this I have changed anything relating to this directly (e.g. network settings) but I have added additional information/products to my site (therefore I wondered if it was page size - so spread my subsections across 2 sections just in case - didn't work).

Has anyone else had the "Unable to connect to the FTP server" message?????

Paul
        KJ Beckett
        Bath, England
        Men's Fashion Blog

Comment

I bet your host' s Claranet.
          Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

You win!!! Claranet it is.

Is this a known issue?
            KJ Beckett
            Bath, England
            Men's Fashion Blog

Comment

Ah. I see.

I have just done a search for Claranet within the forum. I will read into this but the first glimpse looks like I have too many products. Hmmm. Thats not good.
              KJ Beckett
              Bath, England
              Men's Fashion Blog

Comment

No. I reported it as a problem yesterday (Friday, 9.30am) and it still has not been fixed. The "development team" (cough, cringe) finished at 5pm yesterday and won't be back till Monday. Give them grief Monday mate, big time.

Also I managed (eventually) to get it to upload this morning, then back to no play mode. Will not connect with ftp proggy either. Grrr.
                Football Heaven

Comment

Ah okay.

I also got a couple of uploads yesterday evening and this morning. But generally its no go.

I did speak to the Claranet customerline(???) yesterday - however I was able to ftp using a cmd prompt. Consequently I assumed that it must be a problem at my end.

Presumably this is something to do with the way Actinic connects to Claranet.

For info - at 4.00pm the customerline was not aware of any service problems. I am sure this is just poor communication between departments!?!

Will be having a chat with them on Monday!

Thanks
                  KJ Beckett
                  Bath, England
                  Men's Fashion Blog

Comment

run a tracert - and make sure you have "use passive ftp" checked...

If these are already ok, you have to wait until your host provides you support - are they honestly only able to provide that level of tech support monday - friday, 9-5 pm?

Find a host with better support????
                    Web Design & Ecommerce - Affordable Web Hosting
                    Free and low cost Merchant Accounts coming soon..
                    NOD32 Antivirus - Reciprocal Links for Actinic Sites ONLY

Comment

Thanks

Claranet does not have the best customerservices department I must agree. I think on weekdays the customerline (not tech department) are open til 9pm. Not sure if tech support hangs around that long.

Generally I am not aware of many site outages with Claranet - but when things do go wrong I don't think they have the capacity to cope properly (e.g. you phone the serviceline and are 29 in the cue).

As my business develops I will have to start thinking about a better host.

Paul
                      KJ Beckett
                      Bath, England
                      Men's Fashion Blog

Comment

Hi

I have checked to see if use passive ftp was on. it was!

I have tracert www.kjbeckett.com - which threw up this:

Tracing route to bed.uk.clara.net [195.8.71.249]
                        over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 2 ms 2 ms 192.168.2.1
                        2 16 ms 11 ms 55 ms 10.27.0.1
                        3 13 ms 14 ms 10 ms gsr01-hf.blueyonder.co.uk [62.30.64.161]
                        4 19 ms 17 ms 14 ms 172.18.6.41
                        5 42 ms 14 ms 17 ms tele1-azt-pos.telewest.net [194.117.136.2]
                        6 17 ms 14 ms 14 ms t6-br1-ge-1-1-17.router.uk.clara.net [195.8.86.2
                        09]
                        7 44 ms 93 ms 223 ms t6-cr1-ge-6-0.router.uk.clara.net [195.8.86.205]

8 63 ms 61 ms 204 ms gs-cr2-ge-2-2.router.uk.clara.net [195.8.68.253]

9 36 ms 15 ms 15 ms fe-2-0-gs-ar6.router.uk.clara.net [195.8.86.46]

10 20 ms 17 ms 21 ms clarahost4.clara.net [195.8.71.249]

Trace complete.

Should I tracert something else - the ftp address? If you can advise I would appreciate it. It would be good to point Claranet in the right direction tommorow.

Many thanks.
                        KJ Beckett
                        Bath, England
                        Men's Fashion Blog

Comment

Claranet seem to have different levels of help. The guys who answer the phone first are probably more than capable of helping out customers with the majority of issues (passwords, etc), but I think the more technical answers come from the folks ("development team") who only work office hours. This is maybe a case for the management of Clara to have a standby of staff who can cover such problems. I read of the host who posts on here who had problems at Christmastime I think who basically worked on till they were fixed, that would be my object if I ran a hosting company. Then again, I'd imagine a host would reach a level where, if they lost say half a dozen customers it would not make absolutley any difference to them. The negative views of ex-customers will have a worse effect long term.
                          Football Heaven

Comment

Originally posted by paulbeckett
                            Hi

I have checked to see if use passive ftp was on. it was!

I have tracert www.kjbeckett.com - which threw up this:

Tracing route to bed.uk.clara.net [195.8.71.249]

1 2 ms 2 ms 2 ms 192.168.2.1
                            2 16 ms 11 ms 55 ms 10.27.0.1
                            3 13 ms 14 ms 10 ms gsr01-hf.blueyonder.co.uk [62.30.64.161]
                            4 19 ms 17 ms 14 ms 172.18.6.41
                            5 42 ms 14 ms 17 ms tele1-azt-pos.telewest.net [194.117.136.2]
                            6 17 ms 14 ms 14 ms t6-br1-ge-1-1-17.router.uk.clara.net [195.8.86.2
                            09]
                            7 44 ms 93 ms 223 ms t6-cr1-ge-6-0.router.uk.clara.net [195.8.86.205]

8 63 ms 61 ms 204 ms gs-cr2-ge-2-2.router.uk.clara.net [195.8.68.253]

9 36 ms 15 ms 15 ms fe-2-0-gs-ar6.router.uk.clara.net [195.8.86.46]

10 20 ms 17 ms 21 ms clarahost4.clara.net [195.8.71.249]

Trace complete.

Should I tracert something else - the ftp address? If you can advise I would appreciate it. It would be good to point Claranet in the right direction tommorow.

Many thanks.

the 200+ aren't great, but not AWEFUL...

if your ftp address is different, yes, tracert that too...
                            Web Design & Ecommerce - Affordable Web Hosting
                            Free and low cost Merchant Accounts coming soon..
                            NOD32 Antivirus - Reciprocal Links for Actinic Sites ONLY

Comment

Hi. Thanks. This is the output from tracert ftp.kjbeckett.com:

Tracing route to bed.uk.clara.net [195.8.71.207]

1 9 ms 2 ms 1 ms 192.168.2.1
                              2 17 ms 49 ms 11 ms 10.27.0.1
                              3 11 ms 9 ms 10 ms gsr01-hf.blueyonder.co.uk [62.30.64.161]
                              4 23 ms 18 ms 16 ms 172.18.6.45
                              5 18 ms 16 ms 19 ms tele1-azt-pos.telewest.net [194.117.136.2]
                              6 26 ms 16 ms 16 ms t6-br1-ge-1-1-17.router.uk.clara.net [195.8.86.2
                              09]
                              7 20 ms 15 ms 15 ms t6-cr1-ge-6-0.router.uk.clara.net [195.8.86.205]

8 163 ms 204 ms 204 ms gs-cr2-ge-2-2.router.uk.clara.net [195.8.68.253]

9 55 ms 15 ms 19 ms fe-2-0-gs-ar6.router.uk.clara.net [195.8.86.46]

10 21 ms 16 ms 15 ms clarahost2.clara.net [195.8.71.207]

Trace complete.

Would this corresspond with my - Unable to connect to the FTP server "ftp.kjbeckett.com". The connection with the server was reset - problem. I still cant upload from Actinic.

Paul
                              KJ Beckett
                              Bath, England
                              Men's Fashion Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X