Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upload directory structure problem

Hi there,

I'm having a problem uploading my site as I have duplicate image names, these are however contained in two separate directories which isn't a problem on my local PC e.g.

imagesSmall/somePicName.jpeg **these images are used as thumbnails
    imagesLarge/somePicName.jpeg **these images are used as expanded images

When uploading the site Actinic seems to put everything, scripts, html pages, images, in one huge directory "acatalog" which has no structure and hence two images with the same filename can't exist! There are over 2000 images (they are distributed this way by the wholesaler) and so this is an annoying problem. Is there anyway of uploading the site and maintaining the directory structure of Actinic's "Site1" folder? Or am i going to have to rename over 2000 images?

Any help would be much appreciated thanks

This may help but some packages have a batch renaming function eg fireworks, so you could add a prefix of eg lrg.. using access (if you have it) you could rename the large images from imagesLarge/ to imagesLarge/lrg- and that way all your large images will have a different name.
    Just a suggestion
    Jenny
    Hanson Web Design
    www.hansonwebdesign.co.uk
    jenny@hansonwebdesign.co.uk
    Actinic hosting, Actinic Software, template design and re-design

Comment

Hi Jenny,

Thanks for the reply, appreciated. Yeah I already thought about that, I can do batch processing in Photoshop no problem, but surely you must be able to create a site structure! No site just whacks everything in to one massive un-organized, un-manageable folder! That’s stupid!

Comment

I'm afraid your stuck with batch renaming.

Actinic uploads EVERYTHING into a single directory on the server as you've determined.

It's not really an unmanageable mess, as Actinic manages these files and directories for you, which fits in with it's place in the market as an easy to use system requiring no server-side knowledge. If you delete or rename an image, etc, then Actinic will remove / rename it on the server for you. You really never need to go into /acatalog yourself.

Assuming one set of your duplicated names is used in a single place in Actinic (like product thumbnail) it should be possible to use Access to add the same prefix to the image name in the ActinicCatalog.mdb (back it up first) as you batch renamed them to.
        Norman - www.drillpine.biz
        Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

one of my clients recently had this problem and found a freeware batch renamer program for windows was his answer:

http://www.altap.cz/salam_en/features/batch_rename.html

Not sure if that's the one he used, but others can be found easily via google:

batch renamer windows

hth

Greg
          Web Design & Ecommerce - Affordable Web Hosting
          Free and low cost Merchant Accounts coming soon..
          NOD32 Antivirus - Reciprocal Links for Actinic Sites ONLY

Comment

Us old-timers just use the DOS rename command (with wildcards) that's still lurking in XP.

Alternatively, if I want to do it the mousy way, I use the freeware Irfanview ( http://www.irfanview.com - or on nearly every computer magazine cover CD ) which also does batch image resizes and many other useful things.
            Norman - www.drillpine.biz
            Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the help. I've done the batch rename on the images and i had everything in CSV format so was easy to edit the filenames too. Still find the one massive directory a bit strange but as you said "stuck with it"!

Thanks again all

Comment

Working...
              X