Need to put site of CD instead of a catalogue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to put site of CD instead of a catalogue

I know I asked this question last year but hope someone has solved the problems by now

I get many requests for a catalogue, but due to the expense do not produce one.

What I would like to do is send a cd or dvd of the site without the ability to order so they can browse at home or work without being online

I would have thought many others are in the same situation on this request.

Hopefully expecting a miracle
    Chris Ashdown

Without knowing the details - I think you can do something like create a pdf file from the site HTML folder and burn to disk

Comment

I posted on getting the PreviewHTML system onto a CD. You lose the Search capability but otherwise can do pretty much the usual Preview offline. See http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=10087

Also Jo's suggestion could be easier if you have a smallish site.

Look at your live site as usual in a browser, then "Print" each product page (forget the other pages) to a PDF file ("widgets.pdf, lefthanded.pdf, etc).

Now make a single HTML page index.html containing e.g.

<a href="widgets.pdf" target="_product">Widgets</a><br>
      <a href="lefthanded.pdf" target="_product">Left Handed Stuff</a><br>
      etc.

Put that index.html and all the PDF's onto a CD.

Now the customer can open index.html (or setup the CD to Autorun it) and will have an index of each Product page that when clicked will open a PDF in a new window.
      Norman - www.drillpine.biz
      Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Many thanks Norman and Jo I will give it a try as soon as I find a good PDF converter that isn't to expensive, any recomendations anyone as I cannot afford Adobe for such a small job
        Chris Ashdown

Comment

Hi Chris,

there is a tool called EASYPDF 2 which creates PDF files from HTML files and Microsoft Office files. This was being given away free on .NET cover disk #125. It retails at only £28.00 - I assume there must be a version 3 available now hence the free giveaway on version 2 - may be worth checking out the .NET website to see if the download is still there

Bikster
          SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

If you have the time to make the effort, I'd alter all the form called to be absolute references to your web site - but relative on everything else... strip out any base hrefs and use the FTP version altered in this way on your CD - that way your "offline" catalog could allow ordering via an internet connection!

PDF would even be able to work this way - and for someone with a connection, the search would also work (but then take them to the "online" store).

hth

Greg
            Web Design & Ecommerce - Affordable Web Hosting
            Free and low cost Merchant Accounts coming soon..
            NOD32 Antivirus - Reciprocal Links for Actinic Sites ONLY

Comment

Many thanks folks I will check it out
              Chris Ashdown

Comment

Working...
              X