Is Catalog 25 fully supported?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Catalog 25 fully supported?

I've just got my free version of Actinic Catalog 25 from PC Plus magazine.

Is this a fully supported version of V6 that will be kept up to date in line with the other versions of catalog?

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Not quite sure if you would be eligable for updates and all that stuff that comes from regular copies of the software.

Within the magazine, does it say that it is a full - unlimited copy - which if it is, I would have thought that it should have been covered by patches etc as they came out, but only Actinic could really say for sure.

Comment

It does say that it's a full program (requires registration) worth £96.

It's just that there's no mention of this product on the web site so I thought I'd check with Actinic (hence this post).

Mike

Comment

The way catalog is written leads me to belive that Catalog 25 is the same code as catalog and business. It just has features turned off.

Thus I would expect patches to be valid..

the main question would be the cost of upgrading...to V7 for example

Comment

I don' think it's supposed have limited features. It's just limited to 25 products.

It could be useful for some smaller sites which is why I'm asking the question.

Mike

Comment

well in my book only having 25 products is a feature

Comment

If I remember correctly this version has the same functionality as catalog but can only have 25 products - If you have found it free on a magazine I think that you have got a bit of a bargain but would have thought personally that you would have got the trial version rather than the real one - if you have a license key then you have a real bargain (IMHO).

Regards,
              Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
              Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
              A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
              Product Mash for Sellerdeck
              Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
              Multichannel order processing
              Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Ok. I've just registered it online and got details of a free 3 month hosting trial but no serial number for the software.

It definitely is being promoted and described as the 'full program as sold for £96' so I'm pretty sure it's not just a trial.

Does anyone know if it's safe to load the software when there's already V6 installed. I currently have active versions of Catalog and Business running, but there's no 'Catalog 25' option so I assume I have to load this into a new directory.

Advice anyone?

Mike

Comment

Well without a key you haven't got a free catalog, in 30 days it will just stop working. Maybe it is a 'take out hosting for a year and get a freebie catalog' type of offer - just like all of those free mobile phones.

It really is just like catalog, if you alrady have catalog installed then you need to create a new site and give it a key to use the 25 product version - which I guess might be a problem for you if you don't have a key.

You cannot install two lots of V6 on the same machine without a second key - this includes catalog light.

Regards,
                  Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud

A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
                  Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
                  Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

OK.

I just got off the phone with Actinic. They tell me that Catalog 25 is a self installing program that doesn't require a licence key. So that side of things is OK.

They also tell me though that I should NOT install it on the same PC that already has V6 installed as it will mess up the existing directory. So not so good.

I'm now waiting for them to call me back so we can see if there's a solution to this.

Mike

Comment

Excellent, this is one of those occasions when it is rather nice to be wrong, I must pop out and buy a pc plus magazine.

Will you be able to upgrade it?

Regards,

Comment

There is a special upgrade offer to full catalog or business (£299 & £699 +VAT respectively).

As to whether you can upgrade to V6.1 etc, that is one of things I've been asking in this topic. I forgot to ask them on the phone. I'll try and remember the next time I talk to them.

Of course, someone from Actinic is welcome to post here and let us know directly.

Mike

Comment

Actinic have called me back with a solution to the problem of running Catalog 25 with an existing V6 installation.

If anyone else has the same problem they should contact Actinic Sales for details.

Mike

Comment

is it a full licensed copy?

Comment

Here's my understanding based on the best info I can get (and trying to remember various bits I read when I registered):

1) Catalog 25 is a promotional version of Catalog that has all the features and capability of regular Catalog, but is limited to 25 products.

2) It is self installing and doesn't need the normal serial key.

3) There is no technical support for Catalog 25 (I'm sure I read this somewhere but can't find it. It must have been when I registered).

4) You can use Catalog 25 for live sites just as with regular Catalog. It is not a time limited trial installation.

5) Because Catalog 25 is a special build, you cannot simply run the self-install on a PC that already has Catalog/Business V6 already installed on it.

6) I believe the only upgrade path (for maintenance releases, features, etc) is to purchase a regular version of Catalog. There is a discount offer as part of the promotion.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X