Need Catalog v7 & Business v7 on same machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Catalog v7 & Business v7 on same machine

A consulting client of mine has asked me to develop his site using Business so he can restrict access to certain products to certain customers. I have live site using Catalog v7.02 on my computer. Is there anyway I can use the evaluation edition of Business on the same computer as my live Catalog? Don't have another computer and have "sold" the client on the fact that we'll have 30 days to develop and test the site before going live--and his having to pay.
    As always your help is greatly appreciated.
    Jeff Pollack
    www.alldawgs.com
    www.profleeceusa.com
    www.4dogclubsonly.com
    www.silverwood2007.com

when you put the key in for the catalog into the business, you get a second site with catalog functionality, not business... I have a mixture of catalog, business and developer - all at the same version level on this machine.

hjh

Greg
    Web Design & Ecommerce - Affordable Web Hosting
    Free and low cost Merchant Accounts coming soon..
    NOD32 Antivirus - Reciprocal Links for Actinic Sites ONLY

Comment

Ah, there's the rub...

That's the problem. I'll need to test the different items for different log-ins...the whole reason for going to Business rather than Catalog. Isn't there any workaround?
      Jeff Pollack
      www.alldawgs.com
      www.profleeceusa.com
      www.4dogclubsonly.com
      www.silverwood2007.com

Comment

No workaround - at least one that is palatable - APART from buying a license....
        Web Design & Ecommerce - Affordable Web Hosting
        Free and low cost Merchant Accounts coming soon..
        NOD32 Antivirus - Reciprocal Links for Actinic Sites ONLY

Comment

Hire a computer £25 per week in this area, and then you can use the evaluation copy of Developer to test out your idears

Not ideal but cheapest option I can think of
          Chris Ashdown

Comment

Originally posted by jeff p
            That's the problem. I'll need to test the different items for different log-ins...the whole reason for going to Business rather than Catalog. Isn't there any workaround?
            For about £100 you can buy a copy of VMware Workstation.Install it on your PC,this will allow you to have a virtual machine. After installing the OS install the other Actinic version into the machine you have created in VMware.
            "If 1st you don't succeed try try again and if that doesn’t work cover up all evidence of failure!"

Comment

Originally posted by smold
              For about £100 you can buy a copy of VMware Workstation.Install it on your PC,this will allow you to have a virtual machine. After installing the OS install the other Actinic version into the machine you have created in VMware.
              Or, you could use Windows XP to do the same thing. Install another copy of XP either to another hard drive in the machine, or another new directory. XP will then add a choice for operating systems on the startup screen. You would then select which copy of XP you want to load.

Or, you could purchase a copy of Norton Partition Magic v8.0. It will allow multiple operating systems to reside on multiple partitions of the same hard drive. You could run Unix, Lynux, XP, 98, XP Pro, whatever your client may be running in, that way you could duplicate his operating environment. The nice thing about PM is that you can change partition sizes and OS environments on the fly from the windows GUI.

Norton Partition Magic v8.0

Eagle
              Isaiah 40:31But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew [their] strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; [and] they shall walk, and not faint.

Comment

Originally posted by smold

They do 30-day evaluation version.

http://www.vmware.com/download/index.html#eval

Job sorted!
                "If 1st you don't succeed try try again and if that doesn’t work cover up all evidence of failure!"

Comment

Originally posted by EaglesNest
                  Or, you could use Windows XP to do the same thing. Install another copy of XP either to another hard drive in the machine, or another new directory. XP will then add a choice for operating systems on the startup screen. You would then select which copy of XP you want to load.

Or, you could purchase a copy of Norton Partition Magic v8.0. It will allow multiple operating systems to reside on multiple partitions of the same hard drive. You could run Unix, Lynux, XP, 98, XP Pro, whatever your client may be running in, that way you could duplicate his operating environment. The nice thing about PM is that you can change partition sizes and OS environments on the fly from the windows GUI.

Norton Partition Magic v8.0

Eagle
                  True and good thinking!

VMware solution is nice if you want to erase the other version afterwards.
                  All you do a uninstall and your hard drive is back to the same configuration.
                  The OS and data are held in a file, which you can copy if you need copies of your configuration.

And I've previously had a hard drive unbootable after using partition magic on a server.

I guess Partition magic is cheaper but you need a different version for server which was more expensive ,unless they have changed the licencing.

And the big bonus if Jeff goes VMware he can run multiple copies at the same time.

Comment

Thank you all. I'll take at look at both options and select the one I think won't give me more to screw up. I'm good at running programs but actually "tinkering" with stuff...that's another matter.

Thanks again.
                    Jeff Pollack
                    www.alldawgs.com
                    www.profleeceusa.com
                    www.4dogclubsonly.com
                    www.silverwood2007.com

Comment

Originally posted by jeff p
                      Thank you all. I'll take at look at both options and select the one I think won't give me more to screw up. I'm good at running programs but actually "tinkering" with stuff...that's another matter.

Thanks again.
                      Jeff give me a shout if you need a hand with the Vmware config,I maybe able to help.

Comment

Working...
                      X