Clear All

e-mail to a friend?

Hi,
    I searched the archives and found this script,

Tell a friend - enter their e-mail address here
    <input type=text value="" size=40 onchange="
    var thisloc=location.href + '#[PRODUCTANCHOR]';
    if (this.value != '') {
    location.href='mailto:' + this.value +'?subject=Take%20a%20look%20at%20[PRODUCTNAME]&body=I%20saw%20' + thisloc + '%20and%20thought%20you%20would%20be%20interested.'
    }
    ">
    <input type=button value="OK">

I would like to use it at the bottom of a text only fragment, so I can have it on any page I wish but not on others. I tried it in between !!< >!! html quotes it sort off half works but not properly. I presume it needs to go into the template, how do I do this (not too technical an answer please)

looking at the code, it looks like it's designed to be put into your product template...
    Web Design & Ecommerce - Affordable Web Hosting
    Free and low cost Merchant Accounts coming soon..
    NOD32 Antivirus - Reciprocal Links for Actinic Sites ONLY

Comment

Code:
       <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">

<!-- Begin
      function isPPC() {
      if (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("PPC") != -1) return true;
      else return false;
      }
      if(isPPC()) {
      document.write('<b><SPAN class="actxxsmall">Send </SPAN><A HREF=\"mailto:\?subject\=Take a look at this page I found, ' + document.title + '?body=You can see this page at: ' + window.location + '\" onMouseOver="window.status=\'Send your friends e-mail about this page\'; return true" TITLE="Send your friends e-mail about this page"><SPAN class="actxxsmall">this page</SPAN><\/A> <SPAN class="actxxsmall">to a friend</SPAN></b>');
      }
      else { document.write('<b><SPAN class="actxxsmall">Send </SPAN><A HREF=\"mailto:\?body\=Take a look at this page I found, ' + document.title + '. You can see this page at: ' + window.location + '\" onMouseOver="window.status=\'Send your friends e-mail about this page\'; return true" TITLE="Send your friends e-mail about this page"><SPAN class="actxxsmall">this page</SPAN><\/A> <SPAN class="actxxsmall">to a friend</SPAN></b>');
      }
      //  End -->
      </script>
      Owner of a broken heart

Comment

Hi,
        Thanks for the great script, problem solved, being cheeky is there any way to make it produce a 'clickable' link in the email?
        Pete

Comment

In which e-mail?
          Owner of a broken heart

Comment

The email the friend receives
            Pete

Comment

It does try it HERE
              Owner of a broken heart

Comment

the linking of the URL is more a function of the email program than anything...

My Eudora makes the link clickable but subjects don't work... of course!

thanks for the script Gary btw - implemented it here... although the subject is a bit flaky... it's going to do for now until I can server-side it...

cheers

Greg

Comment

Hi,
                  The mystery deepens, I tried the link you posted and recomended myself to both of my email accounts and neither of them produced a 'clickable' url it sent a complete url however, see below:

Take a look at this page I found, creditcardbank.co.uk. You can see this page at: http://www.creditcardbank.co.uk/acatalog/index.html

Pete

update
                  when I posted this into the reply the link became clickable but on my emails it isn't but the message board software does appear to have added [url] quotes around the addresse

Comment

Peter - it's the email program - I used the creditcardbank.co.uk and sent myself an email and it's clickable - I'm using Eudora Pro 6.1 - unless you send an HTML formatted email, you can't guarantee it will be clickable - even then, the client's email program can be configured to make those "safe" and break links etc.

You have to get used to having no control over the client's email program - thinking otherwise will drive you mad...

Comment

I think I understand now, I thought I had made a mistake implementing it, once again thanks for a great script
                      Pete

Comment

Working...
                      X