Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is relative positioning in normenu possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is relative positioning in normenu possible?

I have a site which uses a fixed width design which is centred in the page.

I would like to use normenu to present cascading menus from a single button.

Currently if I do this I have to specify the x and y co-ordinates of the button, but this means the button always appears in a different position (relative to the rest of the design which is changing) on different screen resolutions.

Is there anyway of specifying the button relatively or has anyone got a work around that detects the browser width and height and then changes the x and y co-ordinated "on load" and "on resize" to keep the position of the button constant relative to the site design.

I was going to try this myself, but JavaScript is a language I seldom use and it's proving more difficult than I thought it would be.

Do you mean NorTree? Normenu is only for ancient (V4 series) Actinic. NorTree and NorCascade are for modern releases.

There is info in the documentation (the HV_menu stuff - see C:\Program Files\Notree\config.htm for TargetLoc) that shows how to anchor it to an HTML element.

You can set the TargetLoc variable from the Nortree configuration / Position/Behaviour page.
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Norman/samtech

When we implemented on a site we found it easier to have a left aligned site with the menu (more or less) staying where it should.

Using the anchor tag method had varying results and the position was difficult to Guarantee.

You can see what we did HERE
      Owner of a broken heart

Comment

Norman

I meant nortree oops!

Garyhay

Our style really doesn't suit a floating width and with such a wide range of monitor sizes now being available (and Dell laptops with 1900 + pixels width!) aligning to the left leaves a lot of "blank" on the right with higher resolution graphics settings and just doesn't look right.

Comment

Norman

Yet again like so many times you come to the rescue, the anchor method works fine in IE6 and FireFox. I will try a few more browsers before I become totally euphoric, but early signs are good.

Thanks again

Sametch

Comment

Glad you got it working. I have a widescreen monitor here if you want me to have a look
            Owner of a broken heart

Comment

Gary

Thanks for the offer, I will let you have the url when its launched and you can have a look by all means. But you may have to wait a couple of weeks. Im on 1600 x 1200 so I am probably OK to check it out sufficient for launch.

Sametch

Comment

Working...
              X