jpg images on xblack monitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jpg images on xblack monitors

http://e-commerce-aberdeen.com/labout/acatalog can I ask some of you good folks out there to have a look at the banner graphics on this site.

They look fine at the office but on my Sony M1 home PC with ATI graphics card and Xblack monitor at widescreen (or not) resolution they look very banded.

I want to know what is causing this so all replies will be really appreacited.

Thanks

edit: it's being a great site to work on.
    Owner of a broken heart

this may or may not be the same thing I've been noticing - and it may or may not help too!

I've a Sony laptop with the xblack screen, and all fine on my site when I'm on a fast broadband connection, but occasionally I've had to drop down to connecting through a gprs connection on my phone. What I see is good quality jpegs seemingly getting compressed and appearing blocky (I thought this was happening on all my graphics, but now you mention it, I think the gifs have been ok). I first guessed it was something to do with IE trying to be clever and maybe having some sort of auto-compression, but then realised the same happened in Mozilla.

So perhaps it is an ATI and xblack thing

Comment

Originally posted by garyhay
      it's being a great site to work on.
      From a purely technical viewpoint obviously

Bikster
      SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

We have done some more digging and find it depends on the screen angle so it could just be an XBlack thing.

Got to say that XBlack is brilliant for images and video.

From a purely technical viewpoint obviously
        from any viewpoint, frontal viewpoint, rear viewpoint or upside down viewpoint
        Owner of a broken heart

Comment

Probably not your problem but...

I was at a friends house recently and was looking at an Actinic site and it looked horrible - very blotchy images.

They said "that's how all web pages look".

I then discovered that they were using a dial-up accelerator program that worked by downloading everything through a proxy server that was reducing the JPEG quality before sending the files on to the browser.
          Norman - www.drillpine.biz
          Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

that's basically how all those web accelerators work I think Norman - I was totally confused the first time I saw it, then I couldn't understand how customers got conned into paying EXTRA for it... ?!?!?

edit: and by turning on gzip compression on HTML from servers that don't send a gzipped stream in the first place - our do...
            Web Design & Ecommerce - Affordable Web Hosting
            Free and low cost Merchant Accounts coming soon..
            NOD32 Antivirus - Reciprocal Links for Actinic Sites ONLY

Comment

Yep. I must get out more. That was the first time I'd come across one in use. Took me a quite few minutes to work out what was happening.

And when nearly every modem made in the lasy 10 years implements LZW compression between it and the one at the other end anyway. No use for JPG's but efficient at crunching HTML.
              Norman - www.drillpine.biz
              Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Working...
              X