Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upload Problems 1 and 1 Internet - Help Please!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upload Problems 1 and 1 Internet - Help Please!!

I am having problems uploading the site www.braithwaitesjewellers.com
    I am using www.oneandone.co.uk which I am using to host several other sites without any problem.

Basically whenever I try to upload the site it gets part way through and then it completely freezes up, when i try and ftp into the site using cute ftp or command line it is also frozen.

Actinic Are saying the following
    Actinic uses multiple concurrent FTP connections to upload the web site.
    Some Web Hosts limit the number of allowed connections within a given period.
    Actinic recommends that the server allow 5 minutes for 10 connections in 60 seconds.
    Lower values may be acceptable but a setting of 5 minutes for 5 connections in 90 seconds has been known to cause FTP Timeout errors.
    You will need to contact your ISP to change these settings.
    One and One are saying that they're shared hosting allows for a maximum of 6 connections and anything over that is seen as a hack and blocks you out.

So I guess basically I need to either a) limit the number of concurent connections from actinic to 6 or b) get one and one to increase the number of connections they allow (doesn't look promising)

Has anyone ahd similar issues with one and one or with any other hosts??
    Any solutions??

( where is the suicidal smiley crying like a baby and seriously considering computercide because software/issues have buggered up what was a perfectly nice Friday Afternoon????)

Have you tried Actinics various ftp options?

'Passive ftp' is one that is always the first thing worth trying whenever there's a problem.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Originally posted by olderscot
      Have you tried Actinics various ftp options?

'Passive ftp' is one that is always the first thing worth trying whenever there's a problem.

Mike
      The same happened to me with 1&1 but once I had swapped to passive ftp worked a dream.

There might, only might, be an issue with the http address you are quoting as oneandone.co.uk as they have swapped domain appearance to 1and1 -only a passing thought though.
      Now in the process of actinicing this site <a href="http://www.shop4windowfilms.co.uk" target="_blank">Here</a>.

Comment

I have tried passive ftp and I have also tried refreshing the site, I am sure that the problem is due to the number of concurrent connections, the solution is to either limit the number of concurrent connections in actinic (tricky, as I imagine it is hard coded??)
        or to get one and one to change the number of concurrent connections they allow (is proving to be difficult)

Comment

if that's the case, you're stuffed... there are many more things that a host can do to make an Actinic user's situation difficult, but there are also a number of 1&1 hosted threads already in this forum that might yield the answer.

In the end, your 1&1 hosting account may still prove to be the problem... it's a regular thing here - 1&1 users - Actinic issues - oh well...

Sorry if that sounds little jaded, but many of the regulars here are also Actinic partners providing hosting (such as us) - our customers don't seem to have problems, and when they do, it's simply a "check that box" - "change . in that box to .." and we're done supporting the customer for up to a year or so... we (webyourbusiness), also don't have any blocks for more than 6 connections - but we DO monitor our servers closely for load, which means we can firewall out DOS attacks using FTP or any other method.... I guess the game gets a lot harder once you get past 100 servers, so larger hosts throw rules at their machines and if that blocks the occasional customer - oh well... you're just a number sometimes....
          Web Design & Ecommerce - Affordable Web Hosting
          Free and low cost Merchant Accounts coming soon..
          NOD32 Antivirus - Reciprocal Links for Actinic Sites ONLY

Comment

Haven't looked at how to do this but could you not upload the required files using an alternative ftp package such as cute ftp or similar and then just use the integrated actinic ftp to update.

Based on the assumption that updates require less information to be passed and therefore less concurrent connections.

Alternatively you could try creating a totally seperate 1&1 ftp account for the catalog in the 1&1 control panel - might just be enough to "trick" the server.

As you can probably see from the comments I'm not experienced in web server technology, but as a novice these are the type of things that I try to solve any problems that I may have and eventually I come across a solution that seems to work.
            Now in the process of actinicing this site <a href="http://www.shop4windowfilms.co.uk" target="_blank">Here</a>.

Comment

I use 1&1 (Business / Linux) for uploading test sites (I just checked and found 18 test sites up there - some old and dormant), and don't see the problem you're describing.

Also I'm quite often doing a complete Refresh on these sites, again without problems.

I generally tick both of Use Passive FTP Transfers and Ignore Passive Transfer Errors.
              Norman - www.drillpine.biz
              Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

I have tried a manual upload which works except that when I generated it Actinic created the menu links on the left hand side but the links to catalogue sections and sub section where returning a 404 error because all the links default to Act_PreviewWarningPage.html.

The advantage of using Cute ftp is that you select how many concurrent connections are used.

When ftp accounts freeze all ftp accounts for that account freeze, because 1 & 1 are locking the IP address.

I have several catalogues running on 1 & 1 but this is the only one that gives me problems, I am just speculating here but I think it may be because the catalogue has over 900 products the upload takes a long time to upload and the longer it runs the more connections actinic uses.

I did manage to get 1 & 1 to unlock my IP but this only allows me log back into the site sooner, it did allow me to finish one upload only to discover that I needed to refresh the site, which then caused the server to lock up again.

Comment

If 1and1 are locking your ftp accounts because there are too many connections being created then that sounds fairly definitive on what the problem is.

If I were you I'd raise this with actinic support as they need to get the developers to look at this and create a fix.

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Hi there

If you are using 7.0.2 or 7.0.3, you could try going into "Advance | Network Setting" and placing a tick in "Use Enchanced FTP". This opens up one connection only and keeps it alive, rather than open multiple concurrent connections.

Try this and see if it works

Kind Regards
                    Nadeem Rasool
                    SellerDeck Development

Comment

I have upgraded to ver 7.0.3 and selected enhanced mode and it has still come up with a "connection was reset" message.
                      Are there any other settings I should be changing?

Comment

as previously mentioned - make sure that 'Use Passive FTP' is checked.

Comment

Good News!!!

I have managed to sort the problem out, basically after taking Nadeems advice and it not working, I contacted 1 & 1 and got them to take a look at how many connections actinic was using.
                          As a result it turned out that the 1 & 1 server was caching ftp connections so when new connections were being made it thought the connection limit was being exceeded, I am still using enhanced ftp but do not mind because it is better to get files ftp'd slowly than not at all!!

Many thanks for all your suggestions and comments and i hope that this post helps anyone out with similar problems.

What a nice way to end a Monday

Comment

See what I mean about many ways for a host to mess up the functionality of the program?

Comment

Hi Mark

Excellent news, thanks for letting us know what the problem was.

Kind Regards
                              Nadeem Rasool
                              SellerDeck Development

Comment

Working...
                              X